Locus of points making an ellipse

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of ellipses and how they can be formed by finding the locus of points that create a constant sum of distances from two fixed points (foci). The participants also mention using the Pythagorean theorem to derive the equation for an ellipse. They also discuss an example of an ellipse with a specific equation and eccentricity, and how the sum of distances from the foci can be calculated. The conversation ends with a reference to a proof for the equation of an ellipse.
fireflies
I know that

1) when eccentricity is less than 1 then it is an ellipse

2) locus of points making sum of the distance from two fixed points(foci) with that point a constant, creates ellipse.

Here comes the question, I understand that locus made according to number 2, is ellipsoidal. But how can it give the same equation of an ellipse? Or in reverse way how the sum of the distance of any point on the ellipse from the foci is constant?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You might be able to derive the equation for an ellipse for a specific example.

Start with foci at (-3,0) and (3,0) and then use the pythagorean theorem to get the distance from point on the ellipse and the two foci then add them together. Next do it again using a point (x,y).

I tried it. I considered a normal ellipse with an equation

(x^2/a^2)+(y^2/b^2)=1 and a>b

taking eccentricity e, foci comes (ae,0) and (-ae,0). On, (0,b) applying Pythagorus' theorem I got

(ae)^2 + b^2 = s^2

again at vertex (a,0) there is

2S=2a+ae
or, S= a+ ae/2
or, S^2=a^2 +a^2e + (ae/2)^2

Well, then I did quite different thing. I put the two values of s^2 together to get that if the equation is correct.

That brought

a^2 + a^2e + (ae/2)^2 = a^2 (e^2 + (b/a)^2)

or, 1+ e + e^2/4 = 1 - (b/a)^2 + (b/a)^2

or, e + e/4= O

But it cannot be. There must be some problem in calculation. And I don't know how else to solve it

fireflies said:
I tried it. I considered a normal ellipse with an equation

(x^2/a^2)+(y^2/b^2)=1 and a>b

taking eccentricity e, foci comes (ae,0) and (-ae,0). On, (0,b) applying Pythagorus' theorem I got

(ae)^2 + b^2 = s^2

again at vertex (a,0) there is

2S=2a+ae {I get 2s=(a+ae)+(a-ae)=2s}
or, S= a+ ae/2
or, S^2=a^2 +a^2e + (ae/2)^2

Well, then I did quite different thing. I put the two values of s^2 together to get that if the equation is correct.

That brought

a^2 + a^2e + (ae/2)^2 = a^2 (e^2 + (b/a)^2)

or, 1+ e + e^2/4 = 1 - (b/a)^2 + (b/a)^2 {where did -(b/a)^2 come from?}

or, e + e/4= O

But it cannot be. There must be some problem in calculation. And I don't know how else to solve it

My comments in text using {}.

e^2= 1-(b/a)^2

when a>b

Oh yes, s=a then, 2s = 2a.

so, a^2=a^2(e^2+(b/a)^2)

which brings 1=1.

So, the calculation is true.

I got the solution.

But how can we possibly come to conclusion that any other point P(x,y) also give the same 2S=2a?

Should I try finding out for any such point, or, is there an easy conclusion from the upper two cases?

How did anyone who first found it out do it then?

Here 2S means S+S' (one from each focus)

jedishrfu said:
Here's an interesting discussion on ellipses:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse
Yes, I've found the whole proof from the page giving another link.

(The link is: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proofs_involving_the_ellipse )Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Locus of points making an ellipse

What is a locus of points and how does it relate to an ellipse?

A locus of points refers to a set of points that satisfy a certain condition or rule. In the case of an ellipse, the locus of points is the set of all points that are equidistant from two fixed points, known as the foci. This relationship helps define the shape of the ellipse.

What are the properties of the locus of points making an ellipse?

The locus of points making an ellipse has several key properties. It is symmetric about both the x and y axes, and the distance from any point on the ellipse to the two foci is always the same. The sum of the distances from any point on the ellipse to the two foci is also constant, known as the major axis of the ellipse. Additionally, the length of the minor axis, which is perpendicular to the major axis, is also constant.

How can the equation of an ellipse be derived from its locus of points?

The equation of an ellipse can be derived from its locus of points by using the distance formula. Let (x,y) be a point on the ellipse, the distance from this point to one of the foci is given by the square root of (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2, where (a,b) are the coordinates of the foci. Similarly, the distance from this point to the other focus is given by the square root of (x-c)^2 + (y-d)^2, where (c,d) are the coordinates of the other focus. Setting these two distances equal to each other and simplifying the equation will give the standard form of the ellipse.

What are the applications of understanding the locus of points making an ellipse?

The understanding of the locus of points making an ellipse has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to design and model satellite orbits, to determine the trajectories of celestial bodies, and to create accurate shapes in mechanical and structural engineering. It also has applications in optics, where the shape of an ellipse is used to create lenses for cameras and telescopes.

Are there any real-life examples of the locus of points making an ellipse?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of the locus of points making an ellipse. Some common examples include the orbits of planets around the sun, the shape of a bicycle tire, and the path of a satellite in space. Additionally, the shape of an egg, the outline of a basketball, and the orbit of the moon around the earth are all examples of the locus of points making an ellipse in nature.