Locally Lipschitz function implications

In summary: As an example, if we have |-2| < |3|, this means -3 < -2 < 3.And yes, thanks for the link. I'll have a look at it later.In summary, we have discussed the concepts of local Lipschitz continuity and its relationship to continuity and differentiability of functions. We have proven that a function that is locally Lipschitz of order α at a point x_0 is continuous at x_0 if α > 0, and is differentiable at x_0 if α > 1. We also noted that Lipschitz functions are differentiable almost everywhere, while functions that
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Let ##f:\mathbb R \to \mathbb R##, ##x_0, α \in \mathbb R##. ##f## is locally Lipschitzof of order ##α## at the point ##x_0## if there are ##ε, M>0## such that

##|f(x)-f(x_0)|<M|x-x_0|^α## for every ##x :0< |x-x_0|<ε##

Prove that:
1)If ##f## is locally Lipschitz of order ##α>0## at ##x_0 \implies f## is continuous at ##x_0##
2)If ##f## is locally Lipschitz of order ##α>1## at ##x_0 \implies f## is derivable at ##x_0##

The attempt at a solution.

Point 1) I think I did it ok: Suppose ##f## is locally Lipschtiz with ##α>0## at ##x_0## and let ##ε>0##. We know there is ##δ_0##: 0< |x-x_0|<δ_0 \implies ##|f(x)-f(x_0)|<M|x-x_0|^α##. Now let ##δ_1=(\dfrac{ε}{M})^{\frac{1}{α}}##, if we consider ##δ=min\{δ_0,δ_1\}##, then if ##x : |x-x_0|<δ \implies |f(x)-f(x_0)|<ε##

I am stuck at point 2), I've tried to prove it using the definition of differentiable function:

I want to show that ##lim_{x \to x_0} \dfrac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}## exists. Now, I might be asking something obvious here but is it true that if ##lim_{x \to x_0} |\dfrac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0} |## exists ##\implies lim_{x \to x_0} \dfrac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}## exists?. If this is true, then I could prove ##lim_{x \to x_0} |\dfrac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0} |## exists:

##0\leq lim_{x \to x_0} |\dfrac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0} | \leq \dfrac{M|x-x_0|^α}{|x-x_0|}=M|x-x_0|^{α-1} \to 0## when ##x \to x_0##. This means ##lim_{x \to x_0} |\dfrac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0} |=0 \implies lim_{x \to x_0} \dfrac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0} =0##.

There is something strange here that leads me to think there is something wrong with my proof: as ##x_0## is arbitrary, one could deduce the function ##f## is constant since ##f'=0 \forall x##, so the only differentiable functions that are locally Lipschitz with ##α>1## are constant functions... I don't think this is correct, but where is the mistake in my proof? How could I correctly prove point 2)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

Let ##f:\mathbb R \to \mathbb R##, ##x_0, α \in \mathbb R##. ##f## is locally Lipschitzof of order ##α## at the point ##x_0## if there are ##ε, M>0## such that

##|f(x)-f(x_0)|<M|x-x_0|^α## for every ##x :0< |x-x_0|<ε##

Prove that:
1)If ##f## is locally Lipschitz of order ##α>0## at ##x_0 \implies f## is continuous at ##x_0##
2)If ##f## is locally Lipschitz of order ##α>1## at ##x_0 \implies f## is derivable at ##x_0##

The attempt at a solution.

Point 1) I think I did it ok: Suppose ##f## is locally Lipschtiz with ##α>0## at ##x_0## and let ##ε>0##. We know there is ##δ_0##: 0< |x-x_0|<δ_0 \implies ##|f(x)-f(x_0)|<M|x-x_0|^α##. Now let ##δ_1=(\dfrac{ε}{M})^{-α}##, if we consider ##δ=min\{δ_0,δ_1\}##, then if ##x : |x-x_0|<δ \implies |f(x)-f(x_0)|<ε##

I am stuck at point 2), I've tried to prove it using the definition of differentiable function:

I want to show that ##lim_{x \to x_0} \dfrac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}## exists. Now, I might be asking something obvious here but is it true that if ##lim_{x \to x_0} |\dfrac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0} |## exists ##\implies lim_{x \to x_0} \dfrac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}## exists?. If this is true, then I could prove ##lim_{x \to x_0} |\dfrac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0} |## exists:

##0\leq lim_{x \to x_0} |\dfrac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0} | \leq \dfrac{M|x-x_0|^α}{|x-x_0|}=M|x-x_0|^{α-1} \to 0## when ##x \to x_0##. This means ##lim_{x \to x_0} |\dfrac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0} |=0 \implies lim_{x \to x_0} \dfrac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0} =0##.

There is something strange here that leads me to think there is something wrong with my proof: as ##x_0## is arbitrary, one could deduce the function ##f## is constant since ##f'=0 \forall x##, so the only differentiable functions that are locally Lipschitz with ##α>1## are constant functions... I don't think this is correct, but where is the mistake in my proof? How could I correctly prove point 2)?

I think that's all pretty much ok. Though you might want to take a second look at how you are defining ##\delta_1## in the first part.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
I think that's all pretty much ok. Though you might want to take a second look at how you are defining ##\delta_1## in the first part.

Oh, sure, I've meant ##δ_1=(\dfrac{\epsilon}{M})^{\frac{1}{α}}##. Thanks for checking. If you say so, then it's probably correct. But it just seemed weird to me that the only functions that satisfy the conditions of 2) are the constant functions.

mahler1 said:
Oh, sure, I've meant ##δ_1=(\dfrac{\epsilon}{M})^{\frac{1}{α}}##. Thanks for checking. If you say so, then it's probably correct. But it just seemed weird to me that the only functions that satisfy the conditions of 2) are the constant functions.

No, not weird. Your proof is pretty clear. It just says that it's not very interesting to discuss functions that are locally Lipschitz with ##\alpha>1## at ALL points on an interval.

Likes 1 person
For ##\alpha## = 1 we have this result:

"A Lipschitz function g : R → R is absolutely continuous and therefore is differentiable almost everywhere, that is, differentiable at every point outside a set of Lebesgue measure zero. Its derivative is essentially bounded in magnitude by the Lipschitz constant, and for a < b, the difference g(b) − g(a) is equal to the integral of the derivative g′ on the interval [a, b]." I'm quoting Wikipedia, but this result is a standard one.

The locally Lipschitz hypothesis allows us to expect this result throughout R. However, this is not quite as strong as differentiability. Can you think of an f which fails to be differentiable at one point, although satisfying this Lipschitz condition?

For ##\alpha ##> 1, the function is called Holder continuous. You were absolutely on the right track: "Lipschitz functions are differentiable almost everywhere and functions that are H ̈older continuous of exponent α > 1 have zero as a derivative everywhere. " see this paper: http://educ.jmu.edu/~querteks/seniorthesis.pdf (page 20).

For ##\alpha## less than 1 the bound is meaningless since it is blowing up. So I don't think you can conclude anything about the differentiability of f. The paper I reference above does seem to imply that f would not ordinarily be differentiable.

Finally your question about absolute values: |a| < |b| means -b < a < b . So if you are not sure whether your reasoning applies, look again at what the inequality means. You can if necessary break your proof up into two cases.

Likes 1 person

Related to Locally Lipschitz function implications

1. What is the definition of a Locally Lipschitz function?

A Locally Lipschitz function is a type of mathematical function that satisfies the Lipschitz condition within a specific region or domain. This means that the function's rate of change, or its slope, is bounded by a constant value within that region.

2. What are the implications of a function being Locally Lipschitz?

The main implication of a function being Locally Lipschitz is that it is differentiable within its domain. This means that the function has a well-defined slope at every point within that region. It also guarantees that the function is continuous, which means that it has no sudden jumps or breaks in its graph.

3. How do you prove that a function is Locally Lipschitz?

To prove that a function is Locally Lipschitz, you must show that the function's derivative or slope is bounded by a constant value within its domain. This is usually done using the Mean Value Theorem or other techniques from calculus. You can also use the definition of a Locally Lipschitz function to prove its properties.

4. What are some examples of Locally Lipschitz functions?

Some common examples of Locally Lipschitz functions include polynomial functions, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. In general, any function that has a well-defined derivative within its domain can be considered Locally Lipschitz.

5. What are the practical applications of Locally Lipschitz functions?

Locally Lipschitz functions are commonly used in mathematical modeling and analysis, particularly in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics. They are also used in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum of a function. In addition, Locally Lipschitz functions play a crucial role in the theory of differential equations.