Linear polarization in a glass prism

In summary, the conversation discusses the reflection of unpolarized light in a glass prism and how it becomes completely linear polarized when submerged in water. It then presents three tasks, including calculating the refractive index of the glass at a given wavelength, discussing if the results apply to light with arbitrary wavelengths, and exploring a similar experiment using diamonds instead of glass prisms. The solution involves calculating the Brewster angle and using Snell's law to find the refractive index of the glass.
Hatmpatn

Homework Statement

Unpolarized light is reflected internally in the point P in a glass prism. When the prism is located in air, β is the critical angle of total reflection.

I am going to calculate for the following problems:

a) If the prism is submerged into water the reflected light becomes completely linear polarized. Determine the refractive index of the glass at the current wavelength.
Assume that the water has the refractive index nv=1.33 and that the refractive index of the glass prism is greater than this(ng > nv).

b) Does the result in a apply to light with arbitrary wavelengths? Why?

c) Assume that you only have access to diamonds instead of glass prisms. Can you make a similar experiment as in task a? Find out a typical refractive index for diamond when the light has the wavelength λ = 550nm.

kxpVNUq.png

The Attempt at a Solution

No attempt has yet been made, since I don't understand the sentence "Determine the refractive index of the glass at the current wavelength." in task a. This because I don't see any given wavelength. If anyone care to explain this I would be grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently, you don't need to know the wavelength of task a and therefore it is not given!
I'll try to come up with an attempt at the solution later today!

Alright, here is my first attempt at a solution:

Because the ng > nv, the outgoing beam of light will be reflected away from the normal of the plane(blue arrow).

Some of the light will leave the prism(refracted light) and some will be reflected(reflected light). If the angle of the refracted and reflected light is equal to 90°, then the light that is reflected will be completely polarized.

I need to calculate the Brewster angle. The angle where the incident light results in the 90° angle between the refracted and reflected light.

I have made notations in the image below, where the green arrow is the reflected light, the red is the refracted light and the blue is the normal to the plane of the prism.

c2QciUY.png

Unknown is ng.

I know that θ12=90°

Using the snells law: ng*sin(θ1)=1.33*sin(θ2)
=> ng*sin(θ1)=1.33*sin(90°-θ1)
=> ng*sin(θ1)=1.33*cos(θ1)

The θ1 should be equal to our β.

So the solution for the refractive index ng, should be ng*sin(β)=1.33*cos(β)
<=> ng=1.33*cos(β)/sin(β)

But I don't think that our β is correct, sine that is the β when the our nv is air...

Need some help here..

Last edited:
No need to help me here. Think I have solved it myself. I can post the solution tomorrow

The statement is asking for the refractive index of the glass at the current wavelength of the unpolarized light that is being reflected internally in the glass prism. This wavelength is not explicitly given, but it can be assumed to be within the visible range (400-700nm) since the statement mentions the critical angle of total reflection, which is typically observed in visible light.

To solve for the refractive index of the glass, we can use Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two media. In this case, we have:

sin(i)/sin(r) = ng/nv

Where i is the angle of incidence (which is equal to the critical angle β in air), r is the angle of refraction (which is 90 degrees in this case since the light is being totally internally reflected), ng is the refractive index of the glass, and nv is the refractive index of water.

Since we know that the refractive index of water is 1.33, we can solve for the refractive index of the glass:

ng = sin(i)/sin(r) * nv

We can then plug in the value for the critical angle β in air, which can be found using the inverse sine function (sin^-1), and solve for the refractive index of the glass.

To answer part b, the result in a does not apply to light with arbitrary wavelengths because the critical angle and the resulting refractive index of the glass will vary depending on the wavelength of the light. This is due to the phenomenon of dispersion, where different wavelengths of light are refracted at different angles, resulting in different refractive indices.

For part c, diamonds have a higher refractive index than glass, so it is possible to observe total internal reflection in a diamond. However, the value of the refractive index will depend on the specific diamond and the wavelength of the light. A typical refractive index for diamond at a wavelength of 550nm is around 2.42. This can also be calculated using Snell's law, similar to part a.

Related to Linear polarization in a glass prism

What is linear polarization in a glass prism?

Linear polarization in a glass prism refers to the phenomenon where light waves passing through a glass prism are aligned in a single plane. This means that the electric field component of the light is oscillating in one direction, rather than in all directions. This can be achieved by passing unpolarized light through a polarizing filter before it enters the prism.

How does a glass prism cause linear polarization?

A glass prism causes linear polarization by refracting the incoming unpolarized light at different angles based on their wavelengths. This separates the light into its different wavelengths and the polarizing filter only allows one specific wavelength, with its electric field oscillating in a single plane, to pass through and enter the prism. The other wavelengths are blocked, resulting in linear polarization of the light.

Why is linear polarization important in a glass prism?

Linear polarization in a glass prism is important because it allows for the separation of light into its different wavelengths, which can then be studied and analyzed individually. This is useful in various applications such as spectroscopy, where different wavelengths of light can provide information about the composition of a substance.

Can linear polarization be achieved with other materials besides glass prisms?

Yes, linear polarization can be achieved with other materials besides glass prisms. Any material that can refract light, such as plastic or water, can be used to create linear polarization. Additionally, polarizing filters or polarizing sheets can also be used to achieve linear polarization without the need for a material.

What is the difference between linear polarization and circular polarization?

The main difference between linear polarization and circular polarization is the direction of the electric field component of the light. In linear polarization, the electric field oscillates in a single plane, while in circular polarization, the electric field rotates in a circular motion. Linear polarization can be achieved by passing light through a polarizing filter, while circular polarization can be achieved by using a quarter-wave plate.