Linear first order differential equation with unknown function

In summary: I'm not sure if I'm making sense here.If you have a large number of points, the approximation will be closer to the true value. However, if you only have a few points, the approximation will be less accurate.
DMT69
I was wondering if there is a way to get specific numerical values for the following differential equation:

[tex]f'(x)+ \frac{1}{x-20}\cdot f(x)=\frac{1}{x-20}\cdot g(x)[/tex]

I have numerical values for g(x) for about 10 different x values. I need to find f(x) numerically for those same values.

Is this even possible from this information?

Physics news on Phys.org
The simplest thing to do is to find the "integrating factor".

That is, you want a function u(x) such that
[tex]\frac{d(uf)}{dx}= uf'+ u'f= uf'+ \frac{u}{x- 20}f[/tex]

Clearly, that requires that [itex]u'= \frac{u}{x- 20}[/itex]
[tex]\frac{du}{u}= \frac{dx}{x- 20}[/tex]
[tex]ln(u)= ln(x- 20)+ C[/tex]
[tex]u= c(x- 20)[/tex]

Since we only need one such function, we can take c= 1. The integrating factor is u= x- 20.

Multiplying both sides of the equation by x- 20, we have
[tex]((x- 20)f)'= g(x)[/tex]

So that [itex](x- 20)f= \int_a^x g(t)dt[/itex] where the choice of a gives the "constant of integration".

The solution, then, is [itex]f(x)= \frac{1}{x- 20}\int_a^x g(t) dt[/itex]

Use the values for g(x) that you are given to do a numerical integral.

Thanks, I'll give that a try

Okay, I've been reading up on numerical integration, and I have a fair handle on that part. And I am able to follow how you solved the differential equation. But there is one thing that I am still confused about, and this is maybe more a general misunderstanding on my part for differential equation solutions.

It has to do with the lower limit "a" of the integration. How is this chosen appropriately for a practical situation?

Say, for example, I have some values [itex]g(x_0), g(x_1) ... g(x_n)[/itex] and I would like good approximations for [itex]f(x_0), f(x_1) ... f(x_n)[/itex], how would I choose the lower limit of integration in these cases (I assume the upper limit is the value of f(x) I am trying to approximate).

If it helps, I have values for f(20), which is the same as g(20) in all cases. In all cases (I have a bunch of similar cases to calculate) the values I have are for x = {20,50,100,140,200,250,300,350,400,450,500}

DMT69 said:
Okay, I've been reading up on numerical integration, and I have a fair handle on that part. And I am able to follow how you solved the differential equation. But there is one thing that I am still confused about, and this is maybe more a general misunderstanding on my part for differential equation solutions.

It has to do with the lower limit "a" of the integration. How is this chosen appropriately for a practical situation?

The lower limit corresponds to the arbitrary constant of integration.

To obtain a unique solution for [itex]f[/itex], you need to specify the value of [itex]f[/itex] at some [itex]x_0[/itex]. You then have [tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{x - 20}\left((x_0 - 20)f(x_0) + \int_{x_0}^x g(t)\,dt\right)[/tex]

EDIT: If you take [itex]x_0 = 20[/itex] then you must take [itex]f(20) = g(20)[/itex] to avoid a singularity.

Okay, that was what I was thinking since I do have f(20)=g(20) in all cases. Now if I use, for example, Newton-Cotes to approximate the integral for the different points, it seems that I will have a bad approximation for x=50, with increasingly better ones up to x=500. This seems a little arbitrary to me in some sense (shouldn't it be reversible?). Also, why would it get more accurate the further I get away from my "starting point", even if I have more intermediate values at that point? Or could I oscillate somehow? For example, use all the values to get an approximation for 500, but then taken 500 as my starting point and change the sign in front of the integral to a minus to a good value for 50? Or does that not make work?

Thinking a bit more on this, shouldn't having many points increase the accuracy equally for all the points I have?

Last edited:

Related to Linear first order differential equation with unknown function

1. What is a linear first order differential equation with unknown function?

A linear first order differential equation with unknown function is a mathematical equation that involves a function, its derivative, and possibly other independent variables. The term "linear" means that the function and its derivative are only raised to the first power and are not multiplied together. The "unknown function" refers to the function that we are trying to solve for.

2. How do you solve a linear first order differential equation with unknown function?

To solve a linear first order differential equation with unknown function, we use various techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution. The goal is to manipulate the equation and isolate the unknown function on one side and all other variables on the other side. We can then integrate both sides to find the general solution, and use initial conditions to find the particular solution.

3. What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear first order differential equation with unknown function?

The main difference between a linear and non-linear first order differential equation with unknown function is the form of the equation. A linear equation has the form of y' + p(x)y = g(x), while a non-linear equation can have a more complex form such as y' = x^2y. The methods for solving these equations also differ, as non-linear equations often require more advanced techniques.

4. What are some real-life applications of linear first order differential equations with unknown function?

Linear first order differential equations with unknown function have many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model the growth of populations, the decay of radioactive materials, and the flow of electricity in circuits. They are also commonly used to solve problems involving rates of change.

5. Can linear first order differential equations with unknown function have multiple solutions?

Yes, a linear first order differential equation with unknown function can have multiple solutions. This is due to the fact that the general solution of the equation contains a constant of integration, which can take on different values. However, if we are given initial conditions, we can find the particular solution that satisfies those conditions and is unique.