Linear algebra systems ,Ax=b,Ax=0

In summary, the conversation is about showing that every solution to a consistent system of linear equations can be written in the form x=x1+x0, where x1 is a fixed solution and x0 is a solution to Ax=0. It is also mentioned that every matrix of this form is a solution. The conversation involves discussing a proof and clarifying the difference between x-x0 and x-x1.
madah12

Homework Statement

Let be Ax=b any consistent system of linear equations, and let be x1 a fixed solution. Show that every solution to the system
can be written in the form x=x1 +x0, where x0 is a solution Ax=0 . Show also that every matrix of this form is a solution

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well A(x1+x0)= Ax1+Ax0=b+0=b
but this only proves that any matrix x=x1+x0 is a solution but not that every solution can be written as such and i don't know how to prove that

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose x is a solution to Ax= b. Show that x- x1 is a solution to Ax= 0.

wait x-x0 or x-x1?

I mean A(x-x0)=B-0=b isn't a solution but maybe A(x-x1)=b-b = 0 hmm so you are saying there will always exist x0=x-x1 such that x=x1+x0 is a solution to Ax=b

I would appreciate a comment about whether i am right or wrong cause i don't want to go to the next problem until I am sure i understood this one

Related to Linear algebra systems ,Ax=b,Ax=0

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of algebraic techniques to solve systems of linear equations and to analyze geometric transformations.

2. What are linear algebra systems?

Linear algebra systems refer to a set of linear equations that are represented in the form of Ax = b or Ax = 0, where A is a matrix, x is a vector of unknown variables, and b is a vector of constants. These systems are commonly used to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

3. How do you solve a system of linear equations using matrix operations?

To solve a system of linear equations, you can use matrix operations such as row operations, Gaussian elimination, or matrix inversion. These operations involve manipulating the coefficients of the equations to reduce the system to its simplest form and to find the values of the unknown variables.

4. What is the importance of linear algebra systems in data analysis and machine learning?

Linear algebra systems play a crucial role in data analysis and machine learning as they provide a way to model and analyze complex data sets. They are used to solve optimization problems, perform feature selection, and make predictions based on statistical models. Linear algebra also forms the basis for many machine learning algorithms such as linear regression, principal component analysis, and support vector machines.

5. Can linear algebra systems be solved using software?

Yes, linear algebra systems can be solved using various software programs such as MATLAB, Python, and Wolfram Alpha. These programs have built-in functions and algorithms that allow for efficient and accurate solutions to large and complex systems of linear equations. They also provide tools for visualizing and interpreting the results of the solutions.