Linear Algebra Question (Kronecker Delta?)

So in summary, for a fixed m ≥ 1, we are asked to write out all the m x m matrices ##\epsilon(i,j)## explicitly and label them correctly. This means that for each matrix, we need to find the value of each entry by using the Kronecker delta notation. When m = 4, this results in a total of 16 matrices, each with mostly zero entries, except for the entry in the rth row and sth column, where r = s = 1.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Homework Statement

For fixed m ≥ 1, let ##\epsilon(i,j)## denote the m x m matrix ##\epsilon(i,j)_{rs} = \delta_{ir}\delta_{js}##, where i,j may denote any integers in the range 1 ≤ i,j ≤ m.

(a) When m = 4, write out all ##\epsilon(i,j)## explicitly and label them correctly.

The attempt at a solution

My course hasn't started yet and all I know about the Kronecker delta/Levi-Civita epsilon notation is what little I've seen in videos.

They haven't stated the parameters of r and s, but I guess that doesn't matter since ##\delta_{i,j} = 1## if and only if i = j, and 0 otherwise?

All I can think of at the moment is this (can anyone tell me if this is correct?):

##\epsilon(1,1)_{rs} = \delta_{1r}\delta_{1s} = \delta_{11}\delta_{11}##
##\epsilon(1,2)_{rs} = \delta_{1r}\delta_{2s} = \delta_{11}\delta_{22}##
##\epsilon(1,3)_{rs} = \delta_{1r}\delta_{3s} = \delta_{11}\delta_{33}##
(...) etc. making 16 values in total. Is this the kind of thing they're looking for?

I still can't quite understand what I'm doing -- how does ##\delta_{11}\delta_{22}## represent an entry in a 4 x 4 matrix, for instance? Does that mean that both the entries in row 1 column 1 AND row 2 column 2 have value 1?

(I apologise for deleting the 'relevant equations' section -- I literally don't know which ones are relevant.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi FeDeX_LaTeX! :smile:
FeDeX_LaTeX said:
##\epsilon(1,1)_{rs} = \delta_{1r}\delta_{1s} = \delta_{11}\delta_{11}##
##\epsilon(1,2)_{rs} = \delta_{1r}\delta_{2s} = \delta_{11}\delta_{22}##
##\epsilon(1,3)_{rs} = \delta_{1r}\delta_{3s} = \delta_{11}\delta_{33}##
(...) etc. making 16 values in total. Is this the kind of thing they're looking for?

No, they want you write out eg ##\epsilon(1,1)## as a matrix:

##\epsilon(1,1)_{11}\ \ \epsilon(1,1)_{12}##
##\epsilon(1,1)_{21}\ \ \epsilon(1,1)_{22}## :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi FeDeX_LaTeX! :smile:

No, they want you write out eg ##\epsilon(1,1)## as a matrix:

##\epsilon(1,1)_{11}\ \ \epsilon(1,1)_{12}##
##\epsilon(1,1)_{21}\ \ \epsilon(1,1)_{22}## :wink:

Thanks for the reply -- I'm confused... how did you know ##\epsilon(1,1)## should be a 2 x 2 matrix?

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Thanks for the reply -- I'm confused... how did you know ##\epsilon(1,1)## should be a 2 x 2 matrix?

He does not say that ##\epsilon(1,1)## is a 2 x 2 matrix; he just shows you some of what you need to compute. The question actually say m = 4, so you need a 4 x 4 matrix.

Ray Vickson said:
He does not say that ##\epsilon(1,1)## is a 2 x 2 matrix; he just shows you some of what you need to compute. The question actually say m = 4, so you need a 4 x 4 matrix.

So I'm completing a 4 x 4 matrix consisting of only ##\epsilon(1,1)##?

[tex]\epsilon(1,1)[/tex] IS a 4x4 matrix. The r,s entry of it is given by [itex] \delta_{1r} \delta_{s1} [/itex].

In particular you will notice that many of the entries of this matrix are zero. Can you identify what values of r and s make [itex] \delta_{1r} \delta_{s1} [/itex] non-zero?

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
So I'm completing a 4 x 4 matrix consisting of only ##\epsilon(1,1)##?

It reads to me like it wants you to write out all 16 of the 4 x 4 matrices, although I don't see what the point of doing that could possibly be---unless, maybe, there is a pattern that it is important to exploit later in some context.

Office_Shredder said:
[tex]\epsilon(1,1)[/tex] IS a 4x4 matrix. The r,s entry of it is given by [itex] \delta_{1r} \delta_{s1} [/itex].

In particular you will notice that many of the entries of this matrix are zero. Can you identify what values of r and s make [itex] \delta_{1r} \delta_{s1} [/itex] non-zero?

Sorry, I wasn't aware it represented a matrix -- I thought it just represented some number permutations. So ##\epsilon(1,1)## is just going to give me a 4 x 4 matrix with zero for every entry apart from the top-left, right?

r = s = 1 makes it non-zero?

That's correct. The other ones can be solved similarly

Related to Linear Algebra Question (Kronecker Delta?)

1. What is the Kronecker Delta in Linear Algebra?

The Kronecker Delta, denoted as δ, is a mathematical symbol that represents the discrete analogue of the Dirac Delta function. It is a function of two variables, usually i and j, that takes on the value of 1 when the variables are equal and 0 when they are not equal.

2. How is the Kronecker Delta used in Linear Algebra?

In Linear Algebra, the Kronecker Delta is often used as a convenient notation for writing sums and products. It is also used in matrix operations, such as finding the determinant and inverse of a matrix, as well as defining the Kronecker product between two matrices.

3. What is the significance of the Kronecker Delta in Linear Algebra?

The Kronecker Delta has many important applications in Linear Algebra, including in solving systems of equations, representing linear transformations, and defining the Kronecker product. It also plays a crucial role in the definition of the Kronecker Delta function in higher dimensions.

4. How does the Kronecker Delta differ from the Dirac Delta function?

The Kronecker Delta is a discrete function that takes on values of 0 or 1, while the Dirac Delta function is a continuous function that takes on values of 0 or infinity. Additionally, the Kronecker Delta is defined for two variables, while the Dirac Delta function can have any number of variables.

5. Can the Kronecker Delta be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Kronecker Delta can be extended to any number of dimensions, with the number of variables increasing accordingly. For example, in three dimensions, the Kronecker Delta would be defined as δijk, where i, j, and k represent the three dimensions.