Linear algebra 3 lines in r2 Unique solution

In summary: because the equation for the point in the second part is the same as the equation for the point in the first part which is x=y=0and i thought the first part was about the second part and not the first part sorry
madah12

Homework Statement

ax+by=k
cx+dy=l
ex+fy=m

If in Exercise 12 k=l=m=0, explain why the system must be consistent. What can be said about
the point of intersection of the three lines if the system has exactly one solution?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ofcourse the system is consisten because x,y=0 is always a solution
but for the second part
all i did was try to get it to reduced row echelon form and what i got is that in the last colum and last row
of augmented matrix m-(f(l-kc/a)/(d-bc/a))
so i said f=0 , l- kc/a = 0 , m-(f(l-kc/a)/(d-bc/a)) = 0 for there to be unique solution i don't know what that would mean about the point but most likely i did mistake in reduced row echelon because too many terms is there any other way to do this?

i know we must have a 0 because if not then 0x +0y = number which can't be

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
oh and i got x= k- b(l-kc/a)/d-bc/a
y= (l-kc/a )/ (d - bc/a)

oh one thing i see is that l-kc/a = 0 , l/k = c/a , which means there must be proportionality between the x coefficient and the y intercept

The line ax+ by+ cz= 0 passes through the point (0, 0, 0) for any a, b, c. So if the system is solvable for one point of intersection, that point must be ?

The origin? but ax+ by+ cz= 0 is a plane i thought? and we are in r2 not r3 which makes me more confused
but we have this
ax+by=k
cx+dy=l
ex+fy=m
which is different?

wait wait so are we still considering the first part where k=l=m=0 in the second part? cause i mean ofcourse we will get x=y=0 if that's the case

As you said, x = y = 0 is a solution to the system. If the system has exactly one solution, then x = y = 0 must be the only solution.

yea sorry i didnt know that we were still considering k=l=m=0 that's why i got confused

Related to Linear algebra 3 lines in r2 Unique solution

1. What is the definition of linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with systems of linear equations and their properties, such as the solutions to these equations and the relationships between different linear equations.

2. What does it mean for three lines in R2 to have a unique solution?

It means that the three lines intersect at one point, creating a single solution that satisfies all three equations. In other words, there is only one set of values for the variables that satisfies all three equations simultaneously.

3. How can I determine if three lines in R2 have a unique solution?

One way to determine this is by graphing the three lines and seeing if they intersect at one point. Another way is by solving the equations simultaneously using methods such as substitution or elimination. If the resulting solution satisfies all three equations, then the lines have a unique solution.

4. Can three lines in R2 have more than one solution?

Yes, it is possible for three lines in R2 to have more than one solution. This can happen if the lines are parallel or if they intersect at more than one point. In this case, there would be multiple sets of values for the variables that satisfy all three equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear algebra with three lines in R2 having a unique solution?

Linear algebra with three lines in R2 having a unique solution can be applied in fields such as computer graphics, engineering, and economics. For example, in computer graphics, it can be used to determine the intersection point of three lines in 2D space to create realistic 3D images. In economics, it can be used to analyze supply and demand curves, which can be represented as three lines in R2 with a unique solution representing the equilibrium point.