Line integral of friction forces

In summary, the frictional force in the wine glass experiment is a non-conservative force that produces resonant frequencies in the water column when rubbed. This means that the sound produced will be the same regardless of the direction the finger is moved in. Additionally, the closed path integral cannot be taken for non-conservative forces as there is no single closed path that captures all of the information about the force.
marellasunny
I was just performing the usual wine glass experiment where I rub my wet finger across the rim and I hear the resonant frequencies from the water column-due to the friction produced from my finger rubbing.
Today I learned about "conservative" forces from my professor.Since,frictional forces come under the category of non-conservative forces(which I gather means they depend on the path followed),shouldn't the sound produced by the water column vary upon the direction I choose to move my finger i.e C.W direction should produce one tone and A.C.W direction another tone??

1.But,practically,I get the same tone when I rub the finger in both clockwise and anti-clockwise directions.But,by the concept of non-conservative forces and [tex]\oint\!F.dr[/tex],shouldn't I get different tones for the C.W and the A.C.W directions?(since the work done by the frictional forces would vary for the diffferent paths I chose?)Maybe,resonance has something to explain for this,if so could you please elaborate?
2.Can I take the closed path integral for non-conservative forces?It seems illogical since there might be infinite points between many different paths.

Please help!Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes, the concept of non-conservative forces and the closed path integral can explain why you get the same tone regardless of the direction you rub your finger in. This is because the frictional force is an oscillating force, meaning that it is constantly changing direction as you move your finger. This causes the work done by the frictional force to be equal in both directions, resulting in the same sound being produced regardless of the direction.2. No, you cannot take the closed path integral for non-conservative forces because there is no closed path for these forces. Non-conservative forces depend on the path followed, so there will never be a single closed path that captures all of the relevant information about the force. Instead, you must take into account the different paths taken and the different work done by the force along each of those paths.

Related to Line integral of friction forces

What is the concept of line integral of friction forces?

The line integral of friction forces is a mathematical concept used to calculate the total work done by friction forces along a given path. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the friction forces along the path.

How is line integral of friction forces different from regular integrals?

Line integral of friction forces is different from regular integrals in that it takes into account the path along which the force is acting. Regular integrals only consider the initial and final positions, whereas line integrals take into account the entire path.

What factors affect the magnitude of line integral of friction forces?

The magnitude of line integral of friction forces is affected by the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces in contact, the normal force acting between the surfaces, and the distance and direction of the path over which the force is acting.

Can line integral of friction forces be negative?

Yes, line integral of friction forces can be negative. This occurs when the path of the force and the direction of the force are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative work done by friction.

How is line integral of friction forces used in real-world applications?

Line integral of friction forces is commonly used in engineering and physics to calculate the work done by friction in various systems, such as machines, cars, and other mechanical systems. It is also used in analyzing the performance and efficiency of these systems.