Limit problem, theory very basic question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of limits in calculus and whether a limit exists when it approaches infinity. The concept of the "extended real number system" is also mentioned, but it is not typically used in calculus.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

I remember I got it wrong way back in calculus I over this concept.

If I have

lim f(x) = ∞
x→∞

Would it be right to say the limit does not exist? I remember my professor said it was wrong because it does exist and it is infinity.

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't exist on ℝ. However, it does exist on ℝ∪{−∞, +∞}. The latter is usually written as ℝ with a bar over it, but I don't know how to type that.

Last edited:
Harrisonized is talking about the "extended real number system". But, in Calculus, you seldom mention that. Typically, in calculus, it is best to think of "[itex]lim f(x)= \infty[/itex] as just meaning "f(x) does not have a limit (for a particular reason)".

Related to Limit problem, theory very basic question

What is a limit problem?

A limit problem is a mathematical concept that deals with the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It is used to determine the value that a function "approaches" as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

What is the purpose of studying limits?

The study of limits is important in understanding the behavior of functions and their graphs. It is also essential in solving complex mathematical problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function.

How do you solve a limit problem?

There are various methods for solving limit problems, depending on the complexity of the function. Some common techniques include direct substitution, factoring, and using L'Hopital's rule. It is also important to understand the properties and rules of limits to accurately solve a problem.

What are some common types of limit problems?

Some common types of limit problems include finding the limit of a polynomial function, finding the limit of a rational function, and determining the limit of a trigonometric function. Other types may involve using special techniques, such as the squeeze theorem or the intermediate value theorem.

Why is it important to check for continuity when solving limit problems?

Continuity is a key concept in limits because it ensures that the limit of a function exists at a certain point. If a function is not continuous at a certain point, the limit at that point will not exist. It is important to check for continuity to ensure the accuracy of the solution to a limit problem.