Lienard-Wiechert Potential derivation, chain rule

In summary, the conversation discusses the Lienard-Wiechert potential derivation in Robert Wald's E-M book, specifically focusing on the right side term of $$dX(t_\text{ret})/dt$$. The person is unsure about how the chain rule is applied in this equation and mentions footnote 19 as a potential source of clarification. The conversation also includes relevant equations and a reminder about the meaning of $$t_\text{ret}$$.
Pnin
Homework Statement
I am reading a book on my own
Relevant Equations
chain rule
I want to follow the Lienard-Wiechert potential derivation in Robert Wald's E-M book, page 179. I do not understand $$dX(t_\text{ret})/dt$$ on the right side. I assume the chain rule is applied, but I can't see how.

$$ \frac{\partial[x'^i - X^i(t - |\mathbf x - \mathbf x'|/c)]}{\partial x'^j} = \delta^i{}_j - \frac{x^j - x'^j}{c|\mathbf x - \mathbf x'|} \frac{dX^i}{dt}(t_\text{ret}) $$

$$ t_\text{ret} = t - \frac 1c |\mathbf x - \mathbf x'| $$∂[x′i−Xi(t−|x−x′|/c)]∂x′j=δij−xj−x′jc|x−x′|dXidt(tret)

tret=t−1c|x−x′|

Physics news on Phys.org
Pnin said:
Homework Statement:: I am reading a book on my own
Relevant Equations:: chain rule

I want to follow the Lienard-Wiechert potential derivation in Robert Wald's E-M book, page 179. I do not understand $$dX(t_\text{ret})/dt$$ on the right side. I assume the chain rule is applied, but I can't see how.

$$ \frac{\partial[x'^i - X^i(t - |\mathbf x - \mathbf x'|/c)]}{\partial x'^j} = \delta^i{}_j - \frac{x^j - x'^j}{c|\mathbf x - \mathbf x'|} \frac{dX^i}{dt}(t_\text{ret}) $$

$$ t_\text{ret} = t - \frac 1c |\mathbf x - \mathbf x'| $$∂[x′i−Xi(t−|x−x′|/c)]∂x′j=δij−xj−x′jc|x−x′|dXidt(tret)

tret=t−1c|x−x′|
Did you read and understand footnote 19?