L'Hospitals Rule for finding the limits of a function

In summary, this function takes the limits as ##\lim_{x\to1} \frac{1}{x^2}##. Differentiating, the derivative is ##-\frac{1}{x^2}##. Taking the limit as ##x\to0##, the derivative is ##0##.
KiNGGeexD
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1396366783.034385.jpg

Above is a function which I have been given to take the limits of, now we were briefly introduced to L'Hospitals rule and given this example!

Here is what I have done so far...l..
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1396366847.260131.jpg
Basically I know that I have to take the derivatives of each of the functions in the quotient and then tend it to the limits, but I'm having a little trouble!

What I've done so far I took from reading elsewhere (textbooks) for dealing with products and the rest was just guess work as to how to solve the problem we literally scrapped the surface of this and it took no longer than 5 minutes to do so! I hope this is enough information

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahh I've just realized that it would be better to take ln(x) as my function g(x)

To give infinity/infinity Otherwise (the initial way) would be a combination of zero and infinity, my intuition on this is not so good as I said, I may have scared potential help away but it's the truth

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1396371909.378721.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1396371924.116966.jpg
Attached is my attempt at the solution

The 1st page of your last post seems correct. The second page isn't. (Hard to learn calculus when you can't remember how to add fractions...)

Sorry for the number of posts but is that to my initial post or revised one:)

Ahh I see what I've done, I put the denominator of the fraction of the numerator as the denominator of the whole fraction! Whoops!

This is strictly a calculus problem, so I'm moving it to the Calculus & Beyond section, which is where it should have been posted.

Ok, thanks! It was out of habit that I posted it here, apologies

Dauto, would this be correct?
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1396437845.438313.jpg

Never mind I have solved this problem, my derivative for g(x) was incorrect and once I amended this and added the fractions properly I ended up with

-2/π Which I'm pretty sure is the correct answer

KiNGGeexD said:
Never mind I have solved this problem, my derivative for g(x) was incorrect and once I amended this and added the fractions properly I ended up with

-2/π

Which I'm pretty sure is the correct answer

Correct answer.

Quite easy to do. Rearrange that to ##\displaystyle \frac{\ln x}{\frac{1}{tan(\frac{\pi x}{2})}}## which is a 0/0 limit. The top is trivial to differentiate. The bottom is a quick application of Chain Rule and a bit of simplification. The result quickly follows.

Brilliant thanks! Typically stupid errors which trip me up! I should be more careful

KiNGGeexD said:
Brilliant thanks! Typically stupid errors which trip me up! I should be more careful

Another way (almost equivalent to l'Hospital's method, but sometimes much easier): just expand both ##\ln(x)## and ##\tan(\pi x/2)## in series about ##x=1##, essentially by setting ##x = 1+t## and expanding in powers of ##t##. Of course, ##\ln(1+t) = a_1 t + a_2 t^2 + \cdots## while ##\tan(\pi(1+t)/2) = b_0/t + b_1 t + b_2 t^2 + \cdots##. As ##t \to 0## their product approaches ##b_0 a_1##, so you need only retain the first terms in both expansions.

We haven't done much on Taylor expansion, I know the generic formulae and how to calculate it for functions but as for taking limits with it we haven't went over it much! Although we were assigned a question similar to this with Taylor expansion! You will probably see it up here in a few hours haha

Related to L'Hospitals Rule for finding the limits of a function

What is L'Hospital's Rule?

L'Hospital's Rule is a mathematical tool used to find the limit of a function that approaches an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It was first introduced by the mathematician Guillaume de l'Hôpital in the 18th century.

When is L'Hospital's Rule applicable?

L'Hospital's Rule can only be applied when the limit of the function is in an indeterminate form. If the limit is already in a determinate form, then using this rule would result in an incorrect answer.

How does L'Hospital's Rule work?

L'Hospital's Rule states that if the limit of a function f(x) approaches 0/0 or ∞/∞, then the limit of the ratio of the derivatives of f(x) will be the same as the original limit. In other words, we can find the limit of a function by taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator and evaluating the limit again.

What are the limitations of using L'Hospital's Rule?

L'Hospital's Rule can only be applied to functions that are differentiable in the given interval. It also does not work for limits that approach infinity or negative infinity. Additionally, it should be used with caution as it may sometimes give incorrect results if not applied correctly.

Are there any alternatives to using L'Hospital's Rule?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the limit of a function, such as the squeeze theorem, the direct substitution method, and the use of trigonometric identities. It is important to consider the nature of the function and the given limit before deciding on the most suitable method to use.