Lenz' Law Scenarios for two wires with varying distance between them

In summary, in the given scenarios, the induced current in the second set of coils, N2, will be from d to c when the current in the first set of coils, N1, is increasing rapidly (scenario 1 and 2), from c to d when the current in N1 is constant and N2 is moved coaxially and slowly towards N1 (scenario 3), from d to c when the current in N1 is constant and N2 is moved coaxially and rapidly away from N1 (scenario 4), and from d to c when the current in N1 is constant and N2 is moved slowly and laterally while maintaining the separation between the planes of the coils (scenario 5).
mnoodle12

Homework Statement

2h5ivkp.png

For each of the following scenarios, predict the direction of the induced current ( c-to-d;
d-to-c; NO INDUCED CURRENT) in the second set of coils, N2.

1. The current, I1, direction ‘a-to-b’, is increasing rapidly. The coils remain stationary.
2. The current, I1, direction ‘a-to-b’, is increasing slowly. The coils remain stationary.
3. The current, I1, direction ‘b-to-a’ is constant; the coils, N2, are moved coaxially and slowly toward the stationary coils, N1 .
4. The current, I1, direction ‘a-to-b’ is constant; the coils, N2, are moved coaxially and rapidly away from the stationary coils, N1 .
5. The current, I1, direction ‘b-to-a’ is constant ; the coils, N2, are moved slowly and laterally, maintaining the separation, L, between the planes of the coils .

Homework Equations

flux.gif

12138.png

magcur5.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

1. When I increases in one direction on one wire, Lenz' law implies that the other wire will have an increase in current in the opposite direction in order to maintain the net flux. Therefore a rapid increase in current from a to b will induce a current from d to c rapidly.

However the question does not ask for the magnitude, only the direction, so the fact that the change is rapid or slow does not affect our answer, right?

2. Rate of change in flux will affect magnitude but not direction so the answer is once again, D to C.

3. Using the equations in the pictures above, I explained magnetic flux is proportional to (1/L) with L being the distance between wires... So If L decreases, flux increases. Lenz' law says an increase in flux will result in an induced emf in the opposite direction.

Therefore if the current is moving from B to A while L decreases, the induced emf will be from C to D.

Increases in L will result in decrease in flux and induced emf in the same direction. Since current is fro A to B this will be C to D

The separation L is maintained so there should be NO change in flux, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
1-4 seem comprehensively answered and I agree.
5 although L is fixed, the separation of the coils is increasing, so the flux linkage is decreasing and the induced voltage is D to C.

Related to Lenz' Law Scenarios for two wires with varying distance between them

What is Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that states that the direction of an induced current in a conductor will always oppose the change in magnetic flux that caused it.

How does Lenz's Law apply to two wires with varying distance between them?

In the scenario of two wires with varying distance between them, Lenz's Law can be observed in the induced currents that flow in each wire. As the distance between the wires changes, the magnetic flux between them also changes, causing an induced current in each wire that will oppose the change in flux.

What happens to the induced current when the distance between the wires is increased?

When the distance between the wires is increased, the magnetic flux between them decreases, causing an induced current in each wire that flows in the opposite direction compared to when the wires were closer together. This is in accordance with Lenz's Law, which states that the induced current will always oppose the change in magnetic flux.

How does the strength of the induced current change as the distance between the wires is varied?

The strength of the induced current is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux. This means that as the distance between the wires is increased, the induced current becomes weaker, and as the distance is decreased, the induced current becomes stronger.

Can Lenz's Law be applied to other scenarios besides two wires with varying distance between them?

Yes, Lenz's Law can be applied to any scenario involving changes in magnetic flux, such as a moving magnet near a conductor or a changing current in a circuit. It is a fundamental law in electromagnetism and is widely applicable in various situations.