Learning Dirac Notation: Writing Hamiltonian for 3 States

However, you have to be careful with the orthogonality of the states and make sure that the matrix is Hermitian.
noman3k3
I am new to quantum physics. My question is how to write the Hamiltonian in dirac notation for 3 different states say a , b , c having same energy.

I started with Eigenvaluee problem H|Psi> = E|psi>

H = ? for state a?

SO it means that indvdually H= E (|a><a|) for state a
and for all three states i can write
H= E (|a><a|+|b><b|+|c><c|)

am i right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

am i right?

noman3k3 said:
I am new to quantum physics. My question is how to write the Hamiltonian in dirac notation for 3 different states say a , b , c having same energy.

I started with Eigenvaluee problem H|Psi> = E|psi>

H = ? for state a?

am i right?

The H you want is most likely a 3x3 matrix. If your states a, b c are orthogonal eigenstates, the energies are the diagonal entries and the off-diagonal entries were zero. In Dirac notation, this is
H= E_a|a><a|+E_b|b><b|+E_c|c><c|

But only if the eignestates are orthogonal and eigenstates!

So if states are degenerate i can have

H= [E_a 0 0 psi = [a
0 Eb 0 b
0 0 EC] c]

noman3k3 said:
So if states are degenerate i can have

H= [E_a 0 0 psi = [a
0 Eb 0 b
0 0 EC] c]
Your equation looks garbled. Please use an intelligible format, to be able to answer your question.
(Probably the answer to your question is yes, but since the question isn't clear, the answer cannot be.)

H= [E_a 0 0 ; 0 E_b 0; 0 0 E_c]

Psi= [a; b;c]

noman3k3 said:
H= [E_a 0 0 ; 0 E_b 0; 0 0 E_c]

Psi= [a; b;c]

Yes, this is meaningful. The formula for H says that you represent the Hamiltonian in an eigenbasis, and the formula for psi says that the state you consider decomposes in this eigenbasis with coefficients a, b, and c.

Related to Learning Dirac Notation: Writing Hamiltonian for 3 States

What is the purpose of Dirac notation in writing a Hamiltonian for 3 states?

Dirac notation is a compact and convenient way to represent quantum states and operators. In the context of writing a Hamiltonian for 3 states, Dirac notation allows us to express the Hamiltonian operator as a sum of outer products of states, making it easier to manipulate and compare with other Hamiltonians.

How do you represent a quantum state using Dirac notation?

A quantum state can be represented using a ket vector, denoted by the symbol |⟩. For example, the state of a particle in the ground state can be represented as |0⟩. The ket vector is the mathematical representation of the state and can be used to perform operations such as measuring and transforming the state.

What is the significance of using bra vectors in Dirac notation?

Bra vectors, denoted by the symbol ⟨|, are the conjugate transpose of ket vectors. They are used to represent the dual space of ket vectors, known as the bra space. In the context of writing a Hamiltonian for 3 states, bra vectors are used to represent the adjoint of a state and can be used to calculate expectation values of operators.

How do you write the Hamiltonian for 3 states using Dirac notation?

The Hamiltonian operator, denoted by the symbol Ĥ, can be written as a sum of outer products of states using Dirac notation. For example, for three states |0⟩, |1⟩, and |2⟩, the Hamiltonian can be written as Ĥ = E0|0⟩⟨0| + E1|1⟩⟨1| + E2|2⟩⟨2|, where E0, E1, and E2 are the energies associated with each state.

What are the key differences between Dirac notation and traditional notation in representing quantum states and operators?

Dirac notation is a more compact and intuitive way to represent quantum states and operators compared to traditional notation. In Dirac notation, states are represented using ket vectors and operators are represented using either bra-ket notation or matrix notation. Additionally, Dirac notation allows for the manipulation and calculation of expectation values in a simpler and more elegant way.