Learn Quantum Physics: Bohr's Atomic Model

In summary: However, if you are only interested in the basics of quantum mechanics and don't care too much about historical context, you can safely skip Bohr's model.
mrhxszp
I am trying to learn quantum physics on my own and while doing this I came across bohr's atomic model. What parts should I focus on the bohr's atomic model so advancing to schrodinger's equation will be easy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bohr's model of atom is outdated and I believe can be safely skipped if you don't care too much about the historical timeline in the field of quantum physics. It successfully predicts some properties of the simplest atom, one-electron atom, such as energy levels. The same expression can obviously be obtained using the more formal Schroedinger equation approach. The derivation requires a bit of intermediate level calculus though, while the Bohr's model present it in a more empirical manner.

Likes mrhxszp
mrhxszp said:
What parts should I focus on the bohr's atomic model so advancing to schrodinger's equation will be easy?
In my opinion, the only part of the Bohr model (and Sommerfeld's model that introduced elliptical orbits) that is worth "keeping" is the concept of discrete energy levels. The details of how Bohr "derived" the energy levels for hydrogen do not carry over to Schrödinger's model. Schrödinger's model uses fundamentally different assumptions and procedures, and produces a completely different "picture" of the structure of the atom: fuzzy "probability-clouds" versus sharp circular or elliptical orbits.

You should study the details of Bohr's derivation only if you are deeply interested in the history of quantum physics, and can keep it separate from the study of "real" quantum mechanics. Bohr's model is mostly a dead-end or cul-de-sac as far as physics is concerned.

I taught an "introductory modern physics" course for more than 20 years. In the early years, I spent some time on the derivation of the Bohr model. Later on, I simply introduced the energy-level formula and gave some examples and exercises on applying it to calculate photon energies in various transitions between levels. This gave me more time to spend on Schrödinger's model.

Last edited:
Likes mrhxszp
mrhxszp said:
I am trying to learn quantum physics on my own and while doing this I came across bohr's atomic model. What parts should I focus on the bohr's atomic model so advancing to schrodinger's equation will be easy?

In my experience as an atomic physicist, the Bohr-Sommerfeld approach underpins lots of semiclassical ideas that always tended to be floating around when interpreting what is happening physically and not just beating the Schrodinger into submission with advanced numerical methods that offer little insight.

Bohr-Sommerfeld is also the starting point for understanding other semiclassical methods like the WKB approximation and periodic orbit theory.

Last edited:
Likes mrhxszp

Related to Learn Quantum Physics: Bohr's Atomic Model

1. What is Bohr's atomic model?

Bohr's atomic model is a simplified representation of the structure of an atom proposed by Danish physicist Niels Bohr in 1913. It describes the atom as having a positively charged nucleus surrounded by negatively charged electrons in specific energy levels or orbits. This model was significant in understanding the behavior of electrons in an atom and laid the foundation for modern quantum mechanics.

2. What are the key features of Bohr's atomic model?

The key features of Bohr's atomic model include the concept of discrete energy levels in which electrons orbit the nucleus, the idea that electrons can only exist in specific energy levels and can transition between them by gaining or losing energy, and the principle of quantization, which states that electrons can only exist in certain energy states and cannot exist in between these states.

3. How does Bohr's atomic model explain the stability of atoms?

Bohr's atomic model explains the stability of atoms by proposing that electrons exist in specific energy levels and can only transition between these levels by gaining or losing energy. This means that electrons cannot spiral into the nucleus, as classical electromagnetic theory predicted, and hence the atom remains stable.

4. What are the limitations of Bohr's atomic model?

Although Bohr's atomic model was groundbreaking at the time, it has some limitations. It only accurately describes the behavior of simple atoms with one electron, such as hydrogen. It also does not account for the wave-like behavior of electrons or the concept of electron spin, which is essential in understanding the properties of atoms and molecules.

5. How does Bohr's atomic model compare to the modern understanding of quantum mechanics?

Bohr's atomic model was a crucial step in understanding the behavior of electrons in an atom, but it has been replaced by the more comprehensive and accurate modern quantum mechanics. The modern understanding of quantum mechanics considers electrons not as particles but as waves of probability, and it also explains the concept of electron spin. It has led to a more detailed understanding of the structure and properties of atoms and molecules.