Lead Acid Battery Flyback Pulses: Electrolyte Decomposition

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of inductively generated flyback pulses to potentially recondition old lead acid batteries by breaking up sulfate deposits. However, there is a question about the effectiveness of these pulses due to the low impedance of the pulse-producing coil and the battery itself. The conversation also mentions the need for reputable sources to support claims about the use of pulses for battery reconditioning.
JulesP
TL;DR Summary
Plausibility of electrolyte decomposition using Flyback pulses
Can inductively generated flyback pulses (~1kV) cause the decomposition or ‘consumption’ of any components in the electrolyte of a lead acid battery resulting in an energy release?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Only in part. While pulses can apparently be used to break up Sulphate deposits, I have also heard that the voltage of pulses, once they meet the battery, is effectively grounded due to the low impedance of the pulse-producing coil and the battery itself. As such they are no longer in a position to effect any significant changes to the electrolyte at a chemical level. What do you think?

JulesP said:
I have also heard
At PF, we require links to reputable sources for this. "I have heard" is generally not good in the technical forums. Thanks :smile:

It was a personal comment from a fellow researcher. So I am not in a position to reference it. . . .

Perhaps a Google or Google Scholar search could provide some backup for the comment? :smile: