Laser triangulation / Range finder

In summary: The advantage is that the absolute position of the object can be calculated, independent of any other measurement errors. This is not possible with a triangulation, where the measured angles must be corrected for errors in the distance measurement.
Anton Alice
Hello.
On a german wiki article I have found the operation principle of a range finder:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstandsmessung_(optisch)#Lasertriangulation

Here are two pictures for illustration:
Relation_triangulation.JPG

laserprofilometer_de.jpg

The Laser, the CCD sensor, and the lens are in a fixed relation to each other, inside a chassis.
Now it is said, that the scattering of the laser on the object surface is projected by the lens onto a point on the CCD. Then is is said, that in order to measure the distance of the object one has to either move the apparatus, or the object itself (which is illustrated by DZ in the second picture).

I don't understand why this is necessary. I could have measured the distance to the object without moving anything, because I know the orientation and distance of the laser relative to the lens and CCD. And by the position of the image point on the CCD chip I can determine the angle to the object.
Nothing more is needed...

Science news on Phys.org
Anton Alice said:
Then is is said, that in order to measure the distance of the object one has to either move the apparatus, or the object itself (which is illustrated by DZ in the second picture).
Where? The German wikipedia article does not claim that.

Well, not explicitly, but the formula relies on the fact, that DZ is not zero.
The question is, why do I derive a formula depending on DZ, if it is also possible to measure the distance much easier? I mean, the position of the ray spot on the CCD sensor can be absolutely related to an angle, right?

The formulas there use differences relative to some (known, fixed) reference distance which leads to a known point at the camera.
Anton Alice said:
I mean, the position of the ray spot on the CCD sensor can be absolutely related to an angle, right?
It is.

First: The first picture and the second picture are somewhat different: With "reference distance" you mean the x0 from the first picture, i guess.
In the second picture there is no known reference distance. There is a DZ-travel in space, and a corresponding dz-travel on the CCD. so both the positions x and x+DZ are unknown. The distance is then so to speak calculated by the derivative: " If DZ creates a dz with such a rate, then the distance x must be such and such".

Why do I need a reference distance at all? What is the advantage of this method compared to a simple triangulation by 2 know angles and 1 know distance between laser and CCD?

Anton Alice said:
There is a DZ-travel in space, and a corresponding dz-travel on the CCD.
Nothing moves. The illustration just shows two different possible positions of the object, and as you can see from the different response in the cameras, the sensor can distinguish between them (=it can measure the distance because different distances lead to different measurement results).

Related to Laser triangulation / Range finder

1. What is laser triangulation?

Laser triangulation is a method used to measure distances and dimensions of objects by using a laser beam and a camera. It works by projecting a laser beam onto an object and capturing the reflected light with a camera. By analyzing the position of the laser beam on the camera's sensor, the distance and dimensions of the object can be calculated using mathematical principles of triangulation.

2. How does a laser range finder work?

A laser range finder works by emitting a laser beam towards a target and measuring the time it takes for the beam to be reflected and returned to the device. By using the speed of light and the time it takes for the beam to return, the distance to the target can be calculated. Some laser range finders also use triangulation to determine the distance and dimensions of the target.

3. What are the applications of laser triangulation and range finding?

Laser triangulation and range finding have various applications in fields such as engineering, surveying, archaeology, and robotics. They are used for precise distance and dimension measurements, 3D scanning, object detection, and mapping. They are also commonly used in quality control and inspection processes in manufacturing industries.

4. What are the advantages of using laser triangulation and range finding compared to other methods?

One of the main advantages of using laser triangulation and range finding is their high accuracy and precision. They also have a long measurement range and can be used for both small and large objects. Laser triangulation and range finding are also non-contact methods, making them ideal for measuring objects that are difficult to access or fragile.

5. Are there any potential limitations or challenges when using laser triangulation and range finding?

One potential limitation is that laser triangulation and range finding rely on a clear line of sight to the target, so they may not be suitable for measuring objects with complex or obstructed surfaces. Additionally, ambient light and reflective surfaces can affect the accuracy of the measurements. It is also important to calibrate the device regularly to maintain its accuracy.