Krockner delta is an invariant symbol

In summary, A representation of SU(2) can be "pseudo-real" and in that case, you can form the product \phi^{\dagger i}\rho_{i} if the representation is complex. However, for SU(2) which is not complex, the only valid product is \epsilon_{ij}\phi_{i}\rho_{j}=\phi_{i} \rho^{i} using the levi-civita symbol. There have been instances where the product \phi^{\dagger i}\rho_{i} has been used for SU(2) doublets in specific contexts such as giving mass to up-quarks, but its general validity is uncertain.
RedX
A representation of SU(2) is "pseudo-real". Can one form the product [tex]\phi^{\dagger i}\rho_{i} [/tex], where [tex]\phi_i [/tex] and [tex]\rho_i [/tex] transform in the fundamental representation?

If a representation is complex, Krockner delta is an invariant symbol, so you can form such a product.

SU(2) is not complex, so the only product you should be able to form is [tex]\epsilon_{ij}\phi_{i}\rho_{j}=\phi_{i} \rho^{i}[/tex] with the levi-civita symbol.

However, I've seen the product [tex]\phi^{\dagger i}\rho_{i} [/tex] before, applied to SU(2) doublets phi and rho, in the context of giving mass to up-quarks (phi would be a Higgs doublet and rho would be a lepton doublet).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So it seems to work in certain cases, but I'm not sure if it's generally valid.

In this case, the product is allowed because phi and rho are not transforming in the fundamental representation of SU(2), but rather in a pseudo-real representation. This means that the representation is not complex, but it is equivalent to a complex representation after a similarity transformation. This allows for the formation of the product \phi^{\dagger i}\rho_{i} as it is equivalent to \phi^{\dagger i}\rho_{i} = \epsilon_{ij}\phi_{i}\rho_{j}.

In summary, while the product \phi^{\dagger i}\rho_{i} may not be allowed for all representations of SU(2), it is allowed for pseudo-real representations such as those used in the context of giving mass to up-quarks. It is important to consider the specific representation and its properties when determining the validity of such products.

Related to Krockner delta is an invariant symbol

1. What is the Krockner delta?

The Krockner delta is a mathematical symbol used in tensor calculus to represent the Kronecker delta function, which is a function that takes the value of 1 if the indices are equal and 0 if they are not equal.

2. What does it mean for the Krockner delta to be an invariant symbol?

An invariant symbol is one that does not change or vary under certain transformations. In the case of the Krockner delta, it remains the same regardless of the coordinate system used.

3. How is the Krockner delta used in science?

The Krockner delta is commonly used in physics and engineering to simplify calculations involving tensors, which are mathematical objects that describe physical quantities in multiple dimensions.

4. Can the Krockner delta be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Krockner delta can be extended to any number of dimensions, as long as the indices are consistent. For example, in four dimensions, the Krockner delta would be represented as a 4 x 4 matrix with 1's on the diagonal and 0's everywhere else.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Krockner delta as an invariant symbol?

While the Krockner delta is a useful and versatile tool in mathematics and physics, it does have limitations. For example, it cannot be used in non-Euclidean spaces, where the concept of distance is different from that of Euclidean spaces.