Krakatoa erupts again, April 11, 2020

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, an eruption of Anak Krakatoa has occurred. The eruption was violent and produced a large ash plume. The eruption is causing some concern as it may have triggered underwater landslides resulting in tsunamis.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
Anak Krakatoa erupting on April 11. Lava ejected from the crater with a large ash plume.
  • Love
Likes pinball1970, jim mcnamara, davenn and 3 others
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
Summary:: Anak Krakatoa erupting on April 11. Lava ejected from the crater with a large ash plume.

Anak Krakatau, part of the Krakatoa system, has erupted.

I really have to get there one day and do some photography and video recording of the activity
It's reasonably regular

davenn said:
I really have to get there one day and do some photography and video recording of the activity
It's reasonably regular
Please don't worry too much -- I saw the Krakatoa movie in '69, so I don't need to see your video, which I'm confident that you were contemplating making especially for my viewing.

• Haha
Likes davenn
davenn said:
It's reasonably regular
Yeah! It would be something to see in person.

2018 eruption -

• Love
Likes pinball1970, BillTre and davenn
Oh my God... the economy!

Astronuc said:
Yeah! It would be something to see in person.

crazy huh, no obvious steam of small puffs of smoke prior, just a sudden boomD

The book about the 1883 Krakatoa eruption was so upsetting to me, it's been something that's been with me my entire life, I was around 8-10 years old when I read it. It was so devastating.

I knew about Pompeii, but it was pretty much isolated, the devastation from Krakatoa was huge, and much more recent.

Likes pinball1970, davenn and berkeman
Evo said:
The book about the 1883 Krakatoa eruption was so upsetting to me, it's been something that's been with me my entire life, I was around 8-10 years old when I read it. It was so devastating.

I knew about Pompeii, but it was pretty much isolated, the devastation from Krakatoa was huge, and much more recent.
There is a fantastic docudrama on this I'll dig it out

Edit: The BBC one

Likes davenn and Evo
Three more volcanoes—Mount Kerinci in West Sumatra, Mount Semeru in East Java and Mount Merapi in Central Java—showed elevated activity on Friday, on the same day that Anak Krakatau erupted!
https://www.thejakartapost.com/news...as-three-more-indonesian-volcanoes-erupt.html

That must look interesting from the Space Station.

Anak Krakatoa may have triggered underwater landslides resulting in tsunamis.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46674490

"On Saturday giant waves crashed into coastal towns on the islands of Sumatra and Java."

That is a seriously bad volcano.

Likes davenn and BillTre

Related to Krakatoa erupts again, April 11, 2020

1. What is Krakatoa?

Krakatoa, also known as Krakatau, is a volcanic island located in Indonesia. It is famous for its violent eruption in 1883, which caused significant destruction and loss of life.

2. When did Krakatoa last erupt?

The last major eruption of Krakatoa occurred in 1883. However, there have been smaller eruptions since then, with the most recent one being in 2018.

3. Is Krakatoa still active?

Yes, Krakatoa is still an active volcano. It is constantly monitored by scientists for any signs of activity or potential eruptions.

4. What happened during the 1883 eruption of Krakatoa?

The 1883 eruption of Krakatoa was one of the most powerful volcanic eruptions in recorded history. It caused a series of tsunamis, ash clouds, and pyroclastic flows, resulting in the destruction of nearby islands and the deaths of over 36,000 people.

5. What is the significance of Krakatoa erupting again in 2020?

The recent eruption of Krakatoa in April 2020 was not as severe as the 1883 eruption. However, it serves as a reminder of the ongoing activity of this volcano and the potential for future eruptions. It also provides valuable data for scientists to better understand the behavior of Krakatoa and other active volcanoes.