Kinematics Plane and Rocket Problem

In summary: The correct answer is actually closer to 6.28 seconds.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a plane and a rocket, where the rocket must fall a certain distance before its engine starts and must be at least 1.00 km in front of the plane when it reaches the plane's altitude. The solution involves using kinematics equations and trigonometry to determine the minimum time the rocket must freefall before its engine starts. However, the calculated value does not match the correct answer.
majorazero

Homework Statement

Some plane is flying at an altitude of 12.0 km above sea level and is flying in a straight line at 850km/h. The plane then drops a rocket. After the drop the plane maintains the same altitude and speed and continues to fly in a straight line. The rocket falls for a brief time, after which its motor turns on and the combined effects of thrust and gravity gives the rocket a constant acceleration of 3.00g directed at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. For reasons of safety, the rocket should at least be 1.00 kn in front of the plane when it climbs through the airline's altitude. Determine the minimum time that the rocket must fall before its engine starts. You can ignore air resistance.

Homework Equations

I used the basic three kinematics equation:
v = v+at
v^2 = v^2 + 2ax
x = vt + .5at^2
some trig equations too i guess

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that the rocket experiences free fall and should have the vertical component of -gt. Then I thought that the horizontal component should be the equivalent of the plane so it would be 860 km/h or 3060 m/s. Since its moving relative to the plane I kind of just assumed its horizontal velocity is 0 relative to the plane.

Afterward, I derived the horizontal acceleration of the rocket which would be 25.46 meters squared and figured out how long it would take for it to reach 1000 m which was 8.86 seconds. I then figured that if one of its horizontal position is 1000 I can use trig to figure out its vertical, which using tan30 = x/1000 i got 577.35 meters.

I then punched it in x= vt + .5at^2 which looked like 577.35 = -gt(8.86) + .5(29.4*sin30)(8.86^2), either way I got like -0.00435 seconds which is ridiculous. Help :(

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no expert, but if you have found out how many metres the rocket needs to fall before it can start its thrust, and the question is asking for how long in seconds the rocket needs to freefall, the calculation is fairly simple, using g.

Agreed, and I've tried that. Unfortunately, the computed value doesn't work.

Related to Kinematics Plane and Rocket Problem

What is kinematics plane and rocket problem?

Kinematics plane and rocket problem is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in two dimensions, specifically in a plane. It involves the study of how objects move and change their position, velocity, and acceleration over time.

What are the key concepts in kinematics plane and rocket problem?

The key concepts in kinematics plane and rocket problem include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. These parameters are used to describe the motion of objects in two dimensions and are essential in solving problems related to kinematics.

What is the difference between kinematics in a plane and in a rocket?

Kinematics in a plane deals with the motion of objects in a two-dimensional plane, while kinematics in a rocket involves the motion of a rocket in three dimensions, considering the effects of gravity and air resistance. The equations and principles used in these two scenarios may differ.

How are kinematics equations used to solve plane and rocket problems?

Kinematics equations, such as the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration, can be used to solve problems involving the motion of objects in a plane and in a rocket. By plugging in known values and rearranging the equations, we can calculate unknown parameters and analyze the motion of the objects.

What are some real-life applications of kinematics plane and rocket problem?

Kinematics plane and rocket problem have many real-life applications, such as in aerospace engineering, ballistics, and sports. It is used to study the motion of rockets, airplanes, and projectiles, as well as in designing and optimizing sports equipment and techniques.