Kepler's Law: Error Analysis & Mass of Earth

In summary: So you need to include a constant of proportionality in your equation.In summary, the conversation involves two questions about Kepler's third law of planetary motion. The first question asks which variable would produce a larger error, a 10% error in the period or the semi-major axis. The answer is the semi-major axis, as taking 10% of the value and cubing it would result in a larger number. The second question asks for the mass of Earth, using the equation M=4pi^2a^3/P^2G. The conversation also includes clarification on the use of Kepler's third law and the inclusion of a constant of proportionality.
swickey
hello everyone,
I have a couple of questions from my astonomy course that are confusing me.
1. Which do you think would cause the larger error: a 10% error in "p" (period of orbit) or "a" (length of semi-major axis in units)? I would think that the "p" would produce the larger error, because it could alter the position of planet. Is that right?

2. The orbit of Earth's moon has a period of 27.3 days and a radius (semi-major axis) of 2.56 x 10^-3 A.U. (=3.84 x 10^5 km). What is the mass of Earth? What are the units? Show your work?

I'm not sure which formula to use, can anyone give me some pointers?
Thanks a bunch.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Both your questions involve Kepler's third law of planetary motion.

1) Kepler's third law states that the period squared is proportional to the semi-major axis cubed. If you take 10% of any value and square it, then take 10% of that same value and cube it, which number is bigger? For example, let's assume your arbitrary value is 100 (forget units). Ten percent of 100 is 10. Compare 10-squared to 10-cubed. Which is larger?

2) This is a simple "plug-and-chug" problem. Use the general equation of Kepler's third law (it should be in your textbook), plug in the numbers you are given and plug in the constants to solve for your one unknown value. The variables in the equation are the period p, the semi-major axis a, the mass of the moon m, and the mass of the Earth M. You can look up the values for the gravitational constant G and pi. Solve for M.

I see where you going...
P^2 = a ^3
Comparing 10-squared to 10-cubed. Cubed would be greater. Thanks

M=4pi^2a^3 / P^2G

Thanks a lot. It seems so simple now.

Just to note that Kepler didn't say the period squared and the semi-major axis cubed were equal. He said they were proportional.

Related to Kepler's Law: Error Analysis & Mass of Earth

What is Kepler's Law?

Kepler's Law is a set of three scientific laws that describe the motion of planets around the Sun. These laws were developed by astronomer Johannes Kepler in the early 17th century.

What is Error Analysis in relation to Kepler's Law?

Error analysis in relation to Kepler's Law refers to the process of determining and quantifying any errors or uncertainties in the measurements and calculations used to determine the parameters of the law, such as the mass of the Earth.

Why is Error Analysis important in studying Kepler's Law?

Error analysis is important in studying Kepler's Law because it helps us understand how accurate and reliable our measurements and calculations are. It allows us to identify and account for any sources of error, which can affect the accuracy of our results.

How is the mass of Earth calculated using Kepler's Law?

The mass of Earth can be calculated using Kepler's Law by analyzing the orbital motion of objects around the Earth, such as the Moon. By measuring the orbital period and distance of the Moon, we can use Kepler's Third Law to calculate the mass of Earth.

What are some sources of error in determining the mass of Earth using Kepler's Law?

Some sources of error in determining the mass of Earth using Kepler's Law include inaccuracies in measuring the orbital period and distance of the Moon, as well as potential gravitational influences from other celestial bodies in the solar system. Error analysis can help us account for and minimize these sources of error.