Just got a new pair of headphones with a mic and i have a quick question.

In summary, to test the microphone on your new headphones, use a recording software or app to play back a short audio clip. You can also make a call or use a voice messaging app to test during a call. Most headphones with a built-in microphone can be used for voice chatting or video conferencing, but check compatibility with specific software. Adjust microphone volume through device settings or headphone controls, and within software for voice chatting or video conferencing. Optimal sound quality can be achieved by positioning the microphone close to your mouth, but not directly in front of it. Some headphones may be compatible with multiple devices, but check manufacturer's instructions or do research to confirm.
jaydnul
So this headset has stereo sound and a mic, but the connector only has a tip ring and sleeve. So which part of the connector is for each. (tip for left channel, ring for right channel, sleeve for common, so where does the mic connect.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
lundyjb said:
So this headset has stereo sound and a mic, but the connector only has a tip ring and sleeve. So which part of the connector is for each. (tip for left channel, ring for right channel, sleeve for common, so where does the mic connect.)

Maybe post a datasheet?

Related to Just got a new pair of headphones with a mic and i have a quick question.

1. How do I test if the microphone on my new headphones is working?

To test the microphone on your new headphones, you can use a simple recording software or app on your device. Record a short audio clip and play it back to see if the microphone is picking up sound. You can also try making a call or using a voice messaging app to test the microphone during a call.

2. Can I use the microphone on my new headphones for voice chatting or video conferencing?

Yes, most headphones with a built-in microphone can be used for voice chatting or video conferencing. However, it is always best to check the compatibility of your headphones with the specific software or app you are planning to use.

3. How do I adjust the microphone volume on my new headphones?

The microphone volume on your headphones can typically be adjusted through the device's settings. You can also use the controls on your headphones, if they have any, to adjust the volume. If you are using your headphones for voice chatting or video conferencing, you may also be able to adjust the microphone volume within the software or app you are using.

4. Is there a specific way to position the microphone on my new headphones for optimal sound quality?

Yes, the position of the microphone can affect the sound quality. It is best to position the microphone close to your mouth, but not directly in front of it, to minimize breathing and background noise. Experiment with the positioning until you find the optimal spot for your new headphones.

5. Can I use the microphone on my new headphones with multiple devices?

It depends on the type of headphones you have. Some headphones with a built-in microphone may be compatible with multiple devices, while others may only work with one specific device. Check the manufacturer's instructions or do some research to determine if your new headphones can be used with multiple devices.