Ivy Bridge triple channel memory?

In summary: Ivy Bridge should offer significant performance improvements in many applications compared to the Sandy Bridge architecture, but quad channel memory will likely offer the greatest gain.
FishmanGeertz
The Sandy Bridge only has dual channel RAM, which is why the Nehalem pulls ahead in memory-intensive applications and benchmarks. Will the Ivy Bridge include triple-channel memory? The Ivy Bridge is a 22nm die shrink of the Sandy Bridge.

And when will the 8-core chips from AMD and Intel be released?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Don't know about Ivy Bridge but I guess that they would add trip chan memory since Intel obviously already has the technology to support it and must probably just be drip feeding it into the market.

For the 8 core processors I heard that the new AMD Bulldozer chips could be released in the week of June 20th. The new chips are going to be with a new chip socket AM3+ which has been created since the AM3 socket would not allow for some of the features. Since it is + it will be backwards compatible with AM3 sockets but will not be supporting trip chan memory due to this. I'm wondering how they are going to be avoiding bottlenecks with just dual chan memory.

Personally I cannot wait for 8-core chips

Hope that was helpful

Moogoomonkey

:smile:

moogoomonkey said:
Don't know about Ivy Bridge but I guess that they would add trip chan memory since Intel obviously already has the technology to support it and must probably just be drip feeding it into the market.

For the 8 core processors I heard that the new AMD Bulldozer chips could be released in the week of June 20th. The new chips are going to be with a new chip socket AM3+ which has been created since the AM3 socket would not allow for some of the features. Since it is + it will be backwards compatible with AM3 sockets but will not be supporting trip chan memory due to this. I'm wondering how they are going to be avoiding bottlenecks with just dual chan memory.

Personally I cannot wait for 8-core chips

Hope that was helpful

Moogoomonkey

:smile:

Someone on another forum told me that the enthusiast series of Ivy Bridge processors will feature quad-channel memory as one of the many new features of the socket 2011 or "socket R" motherboards.

Oh man that sounds awesome. Can you imagine the cost of the modules though!

moogoomonkey said:
Oh man that sounds awesome. Can you imagine the cost of the modules though!

Clock for clock, how much faster would quad-channel memory be, when compared to dual and triple-channel RAM? What applications would best take advantage of it?

I haven't seen any quad channel memory chips yet. It would require a new bridge architecture to work with cpu.

Chronos said:
I haven't seen any quad channel memory chips yet. It would require a new bridge architecture to work with cpu.

I believe the upcoming 22nm "Ivy Bridge" shrink of the current Sandy Bridge architecture will feature the new "X68" chipset and a "socket 2011". Along with many new great features and significant improvements compared to the P67 and X58 chipsets.

It may or may not include quad channel memory. If so, then the RAM modules will probably be extremely costly.

Related to Ivy Bridge triple channel memory?

1. What is Ivy Bridge triple channel memory?

Ivy Bridge triple channel memory is a type of memory architecture used in Intel's Ivy Bridge processors. It allows for three memory modules to be installed in a motherboard, instead of the traditional two or four, allowing for increased memory bandwidth and performance.

2. What are the benefits of using Ivy Bridge triple channel memory?

The main benefit of using Ivy Bridge triple channel memory is increased memory bandwidth, which can result in improved system performance. It also allows for more memory to be installed in a system compared to dual channel memory, which can be beneficial for tasks that require a lot of memory, such as video editing or graphic design.

3. Is Ivy Bridge triple channel memory compatible with all motherboards?

No, Ivy Bridge triple channel memory is only compatible with motherboards that have a specific memory architecture that supports it. It is important to check your motherboard's specifications to ensure compatibility before purchasing triple channel memory.

4. How much memory can be installed with Ivy Bridge triple channel memory?

The amount of memory that can be installed with Ivy Bridge triple channel memory depends on the specific motherboard and processor being used. However, in general, triple channel memory allows for a maximum of 24GB of memory to be installed (3 x 8GB modules).

5. Is Ivy Bridge triple channel memory faster than dual channel memory?

Yes, Ivy Bridge triple channel memory can offer faster performance compared to dual channel memory due to its increased memory bandwidth. However, the difference in speed may not be noticeable in everyday tasks and can vary depending on the specific system configuration and usage.