Isometry between euclidian and non-euclidian space

In summary, the Riemannian Isometry Theorem can be applied to find an isometric transformation between a region in a non-Euclidean space and a region in a Euclidean space, which can help in determining the dimensionality of data.
giokara
Hi

For the moment, I am working on dimensionality reduction of data and the following question has risen during my work.
I have a set of data in a non-euclidian space, lying on a manifold for which I know the metric measure d between points with coordinates (mu_1,sigma_1) and (mu_2,sigma_2):

[itex] D((\mu_1,\sigma_1);(\mu_2,\sigma_2)) = \sqrt {\frac{(\mu_1-\mu_2)^2+2(\sigma_1-\sigma_2)^2}{(\mu_1-\mu_2)^2+2(\sigma_1+\sigma_2)^2}}[/itex]
[itex]d((\mu_1,\sigma_1);(\mu_2,\sigma_2)) = 2\log^2{\frac{1+D}{1-D}} [/itex]

A problem arises when I try to find the dimension. The algorithm that I use finds a configuration of points in a lower dimensional Euclidian space which conserves the distances between the points. From this, I should be able to find the real dimensionality of the data. However, the algorithm seems not to perform very well (it still is more or less able to find the correct dimension with fictive data for which I know the true dimensionality, however, the results are almost inconclusive).
So I wondered, is it always possible to find an isometric transformation between a region in a non-euclidian space and a region in a Euclidian space? Perhaps it is simply not possible to use the current approach to my problem.

PS: Excuse me for the poor terminology I use. This stuff is all very, very new to me..

Physics news on Phys.org
:)Thanks in advance for your input. Yes, it is always possible to find an isometric transformation between a region in a non-euclidean space and a region in a Euclidean space. This is known as the Riemannian Isometry Theorem. The theorem states that any two regions of the same size in a non-Euclidean space can be mapped to each other using an isometric transformation. In your case, you should be able to apply the Riemannian Isometry Theorem to map your data from its non-Euclidean space to a lower-dimensional Euclidean space while preserving the metric measure of distance. This should allow you to accurately determine the dimensionality of your data set.

Related to Isometry between euclidian and non-euclidian space

What is an isometry?

An isometry is a transformation that preserves the distance between points in a space. In other words, it is a transformation that does not change the shape or size of an object.

What is the difference between Euclidean and non-Euclidean space?

Euclidean space is a type of space that follows the rules of Euclidean geometry, where parallel lines never intersect and the sum of the angles in a triangle is always 180 degrees. Non-Euclidean space, on the other hand, does not follow these rules and can have curved or non-parallel lines.

Can an isometry exist between Euclidean and non-Euclidean space?

Yes, an isometry can exist between Euclidean and non-Euclidean space. This is because isometries only preserve the distance between points, not the specific geometric properties of a space.

How is an isometry between Euclidean and non-Euclidean space represented?

An isometry between Euclidean and non-Euclidean space can be represented as a transformation matrix. This matrix will have different values depending on the specific type of non-Euclidean space and the specific transformation being applied.

What are some real-life examples of isometries between Euclidean and non-Euclidean space?

One example is a map projection, where a curved surface (non-Euclidean space) is represented on a flat map (Euclidean space) while preserving the distances between locations. Another example is the movement of objects in space, where the curvature of space (non-Euclidean) does not affect the distance between two objects.