Is this an example of a gauge theory? How?

In summary: Hamiltonian \mathcal{ H } = -\frac{ \hbar }{ 2 m } \left( \frac{ d}{dx} \right) + V \psi^{ * },using the time-independent Schr¨dinger equation \frac{\partial \mathcal{ H } }{ \partial \psi^{ * } } = -\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \left( \frac{ \partial \mathcal{ H } }{ \partial ( \partial_{ t } \psi^{ * } ) } \right) +
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
In the presence of a magnetic field with vector potential [itex] \vec A [/itex] and an electric field, the Schrodinger equation for a charged particle with charge q and mass m becomes:
[itex]

\frac{1}{2m} (\frac{\hbar}{i} \vec \nabla-q\vec A)^2 \psi =(E-q \phi)\psi

[/itex]

Another fact is that, Schrodinger equation can be derived by finding a [itex] \psi [/itex] for which [itex] \int_{x_1}^{x_2} \psi^* (-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}+V(x))\psi dx [/itex] is stationary (we also need [itex] \int_{x_1}^{x_2} |\psi|^2 dx=1 [/itex] but that's irrelevant here). So, if we take [itex] a=\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} [/itex] and [itex] \partial=\frac{d}{dx} [/itex], we can say that Schrodinger equation has the Lagrangian density [itex] L=-a\psi^* \partial^2 \psi+\psi^* V \psi [/itex]. But this Lagrangian density is not invariant under [itex] \psi \rightarrow e^{i \chi(x)} \psi [/itex] so I try to replace [itex] \partial [/itex] by something that makes up for the extra terms that are brought by the transformation.
My first question is that, is this an example of a gauge theory?
My second question is this:
When I assume [itex] D=\partial+A(x) [/itex] and try to see whether this makes the Lagrangian density above invariant under the mentioned transformation, I only get [itex] \chi(x)=const [/itex] which means the wavefunction has only a global symmetry, not a local one and so we don't need a gauge field at all which we know is not the case.
Here's one method of doing it:
[itex]
(\partial+A)(e^{i\chi}\psi)=e^{i\chi}(\partial+A) \psi \Rightarrow i \psi \partial \chi+\partial \psi+A \psi=\partial \psi+A \psi \Rightarrow \partial \chi=0 \Rightarrow \chi=const
[/itex]

I also tried comparing the original Lagrangian density with the transformed part to see what should be zero and that gave two differential equations which gave the same result.
What's wrong here?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, that made it better:
[itex]

(\partial+A+\delta A)(e^{i\chi}\psi)=e^{i\chi}(\partial+A)\psi \Rightarrow i \psi\partial\chi+\delta A \psi=0 \Rightarrow \delta A=-i\partial \chi

[/itex]

But does this mean that I should replace [itex] \partial [/itex] by [itex] D=\partial+A-i\partial \chi [/itex] in the Lagrangian?
But that doesn't seem right!
My reason for doing this, is getting the interaction term from gauge invariance but this doesn't seem to give that result!

Actually, I haven't understood what you are doing. But I googled "Maxwell-Schroedinger Lagrangian" and this looks like it may be helpful http://arxiv.org/abs/math-ph/0505059v4 (Eq 2.6). My guess is that you should transform ψ and A together, so ψ' = exp(iλ(x))ψ(x) and A' = A + ∇λ(x), where I did not get signs, constants, imaginary things etc correct. It looks like the gauge transformations with the correct details are given in Eq 7.5.

Last edited:
I thought this thing that I was doing, is a well-known procedure. Because I, somehow, was following the approach explained here.
The calculations in the page suggest, that the initial Lagrangian density has no interaction term. Then requiring it to have a local symmetry, changes the derivative to a covariant derivative which introduces a new term to the Lagrangian density that causes the interaction between the particle and the gauge field.
But other sources, like the one you mentioned, are assuming the existence of potentials(gauge fields) and just find out their symmetry transformations.

Yes, I understood you were trying to use the "gauge principle" to get the interaction term. I just couldn't follow the detailed steps in your posts, although I understood what you were trying to do. I was just saying that because I wanted to post a link you might find helpful, even though I'm too slow to do the calculation.

In the old days, the "gauge principle" was magic. Nowadays we understand that it is like the equivalence principle. So both the gauge principle and the equivalence principle are "minimal coupling principles". The idea is that actually there are many other gauge invariant terms one could add, but these are the "simplest", and if they work, hooray!

Shyan said:
Another fact is that, Schrodinger equation can be derived by finding a [itex] \psi [/itex] for which [itex] \int_{x_1}^{x_2} \psi^* (-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}+V(x))\psi dx [/itex] is stationary (we also need [itex] \int_{x_1}^{x_2} |\psi|^2 dx=1 [/itex] but that's irrelevant here). So, if we take [itex] a=\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} [/itex] and [itex] \partial=\frac{d}{dx} [/itex], we can say that Schrodinger equation has the Lagrangian density [itex] L=-a\psi^* \partial^2 \psi+\psi^* V \psi [/itex].
The Schrodinger equation for the field [itex]\psi[/itex] can be derived by the following equivalent ways
1) from the Lagrangian density
[tex]\mathcal{ L } = \frac{ \hbar }{ 2 i } \left( \psi^{ * } \partial_{ t } \psi - \psi \partial_{ t } \psi^{ * } \right) + \frac{ \hbar^{ 2 } }{ 2 m } \nabla \psi^{ * } \cdot \nabla \psi + V \psi^{ * } \psi ,[/tex]
using the Euler-Lagrange equation
[tex]\frac{ \partial \mathcal{ L } }{ \partial \psi^{ * } } = \partial_{ t } \left( \frac{ \partial \mathcal{ L } }{ \partial ( \partial_{ t } \psi^{ * } ) } \right) + \nabla \cdot \left( \frac{ \partial \mathcal{ L } }{ \partial ( \nabla \psi^{ * } ) } \right) ,[/tex]
2) from the Lagrangian
[tex]L = \int d^{ 3 } x \mathcal{ L } ,[/tex]
using the (tricky) functional Euler-Lagrange equation
[tex]\frac{ \delta L }{ \delta \psi^{ * } } = \partial_{ t } \left( \frac{ \delta L }{ \delta ( \partial_{ t } \psi^{ * } ) } \right) ,[/tex]
or 3) from the action integral
[tex]S = \int d t \ L = \int d t d^{ 3 } x \ \mathcal{ L } ,[/tex]
using the principle of least action
[tex]\frac{ \delta S }{ \delta \psi^{ * } } = 0 .[/tex]

Sam

Likes 1 person
Shyan said:
I thought this thing that I was doing, is a well-known procedure. Because I, somehow, was following the approach explained here.
The calculations in the page suggest, that the initial Lagrangian density has no interaction term. Then requiring it to have a local symmetry, changes the derivative to a covariant derivative which introduces a new term to the Lagrangian density that causes the interaction between the particle and the gauge field.
But other sources, like the one you mentioned, are assuming the existence of potentials(gauge fields) and just find out their symmetry transformations.

This is explained for a general field theory and arbitrary gauge group, in the attached PDF at the end of this post

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4813808&postcount=26

You can apply the same method on the free Schrodinger Lagrangian density.

Sam

Related to Is this an example of a gauge theory? How?

1. Is this an example of a gauge theory?

To determine if something is an example of a gauge theory, we need to understand the definition of a gauge theory. Gauge theories are mathematical models that describe the fundamental forces of nature, such as electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces. These theories involve a mathematical concept called gauge symmetry, which allows for the existence of fundamental particles and interactions. So, to answer this question, we need to analyze if the theory in question involves gauge symmetry and describes the fundamental forces of nature.

2. What is gauge symmetry?

Gauge symmetry is a mathematical concept that allows for the existence of fundamental particles and interactions. It involves the idea that the laws of nature should be unchanged if certain transformations are made, such as shifting the location or orientation of an object. This symmetry is important in gauge theories because it helps to explain the behavior of fundamental particles and their interactions.

3. How does gauge symmetry relate to gauge theories?

Gauge symmetry is a fundamental concept in gauge theories. It allows for the existence of fundamental particles and interactions, which are described by these theories. Gauge symmetry helps to explain the behavior of these particles and their interactions, and it is a crucial component in understanding the fundamental forces of nature.

4. Can you give an example of a gauge theory?

One example of a gauge theory is the Standard Model of particle physics. This theory describes the fundamental forces of nature, such as electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces. It involves gauge symmetry and has been extensively tested and validated through experiments. Other examples of gauge theories include quantum electrodynamics and quantum chromodynamics.

5. How is gauge symmetry tested in gauge theories?

Gauge symmetry is tested through experiments and observations. Scientists use mathematical equations to make predictions about the behavior of particles and their interactions based on the concept of gauge symmetry. These predictions are then tested through experiments and observations, and if they align with the results, it provides evidence for gauge symmetry and the validity of the gauge theory being tested.