Is there any way to get a geometrical description of QM

In summary: Can you have such a description in classical mechanics?In classical mechanics in the Newtonian formulation the "real" physical space in which the motion of material objects (such as me or the OP) is "seen" is mapped onto R^n (n=1,2 or 3) as an affine space.In classical mechanics in the Newtonian formulation the "real" physical space in which the motion of material objects (such as me or the OP) is "seen" is mapped onto R^n (n=1,2 or 3) as an affine space. But the description of the objects in the real space, say a particle, requires you to use a different space, for a particle it
nashed
This is maybe one of my greatest gripes with QM, I have never seen a geometrical description of it.

What I mean by geometrical, is a description of the given object in the 3D world we live in, not a description in Hilbert Space, is such a description even possible in principle? I've been studying about Bell inequalities and they seem to suggest that maybe not, but I figured I might as well ask.

Physics news on Phys.org
nashed said:
This is maybe one of my greatest gripes with QM, I have never seen a geometrical description of it.

What I mean by geometrical, is a description of the given object in the 3D world we live in, not a description in Hilbert Space, is such a description even possible in principle? I've been studying about Bell inequalities and they seem to suggest that maybe not, but I figured I might as well ask.

Can you have such a description in classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics in the Newtonian formulation the "real" physical space in which the motion of material objects (such as me or the OP) is "seen" is mapped onto R^n (n=1,2 or 3) as an affine space.

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
In classical mechanics in the Newtonian formulation the "real" physical space in which the motion of material objects (sich as me or the OP) "seen" is mapped onto R^n (n=1,2 or 3) as an affine space.

But the description of the objects in the real space, say a particle, requires you to use a different space, for a particle it's ##\mathbb R^6##.

Yes, as you put velocities as well. I only referred to positions.

martinbn said:
But the description of the objects in the real space, say a particle, requires you to use a different space, for a particle it's ##\mathbb R^6##.
Thing is, velocity is closely related to position, and eve if it's not, you've got the Newtonian formulation which happens entirely in 3D space... I'm wondering if such a formulation is even theoretically possible for QM.

martinbn said:
Can you have such a description in classical mechanics?

Symplectic Geometry?
https://www3.nd.edu/~eburkard/Talks/GSS%20Talk%20110413.pdf

I think the problem is the OP may not quite understand the modern conception of geometry.

Thanks
Bill

nashed said:
This is maybe one of my greatest gripes with QM, I have never seen a geometrical description of it. What I mean by geometrical, is a description of the given object in the 3D world we live in, not a description in Hilbert Space ...

You want a way to visualize electrons, protons etc? Classically they would be little spheres moving around under the influence of forces, like billiard balls, or planets. But in QM that picture is wrong (although not totally useless). Instead there's a wave function associated with the particle which is impossible to visualize entirely. But it can be attempted. The best examples are from chemistry. You've seen pictures of the atomic orbits of hydrogen atom, for instance? They look like spheres, barbells, etc. There are animations of such things. See this other current thread, https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/gluon-field-fluctuations.898565/, for pictures of "gluon fluctuation", a similar idea. This type of graphics represents QM functions visually (3-d). It's far from complete, leaves out essential info like (for instance) the complex nature of the wave. But it's probably about the best you can do.

Likes vanhees71
Doesn't the position basis do what the OP wants? The position of a particle is determined by the potential well in physical space.

Not sure I get the question, the most newb problems are defined and solved in real space, the complex numbers disappear when the complex conjugate it taken to get position, expectation value...even the integrals are defined with real space limits.

The uncertainty principle can be derived by using geometrical arguments, i.e. slit experiment.

nashed said:
a description of the given object in the 3D world we live in, not a description in Hilbert Space, is such a description even possible in principle?

Not for QM in general. Under conditions where the physics can be approximated classically, such a description can (usually) be given. But under conditions where a classical approximation breaks down, the ability to give a description of the kind you are talking about breaks down too. That is to be expected: QM was developed in large part because this classical type of description simply didn't work for certain phenomena.

nashed said:

I don't know if this helps (it's a bit more complicated than need be): http://www.techlib.com/science/bells_inequality.htm

Related to Is there any way to get a geometrical description of QM

1. What is a geometrical description of quantum mechanics?

A geometrical description of quantum mechanics refers to the use of geometric concepts and mathematical tools to understand and describe the behavior of quantum systems. This approach is based on the idea that the complex mathematical equations and abstract concepts of quantum mechanics can be visualized and interpreted through the use of geometric structures.

2. Why is a geometrical description of quantum mechanics important?

A geometrical description of quantum mechanics allows for a more intuitive and visual understanding of the complex behavior of quantum systems. It can also provide insights and new perspectives on quantum phenomena, leading to potential applications in fields such as quantum computing and quantum information processing.

3. How is a geometrical description of quantum mechanics different from the traditional approach?

The traditional approach to quantum mechanics uses abstract mathematical concepts, such as wavefunctions and operators, to describe the behavior of quantum systems. A geometrical description, on the other hand, uses geometric structures, such as manifolds and symplectic spaces, to represent and understand these same quantum systems.

4. Can a geometrical description of quantum mechanics fully replace the traditional approach?

No, a geometrical description of quantum mechanics is not meant to replace the traditional approach, but rather to complement it. While it may provide a more intuitive understanding of quantum phenomena, the traditional approach remains essential for precise and accurate calculations and predictions.

5. How is a geometrical description of quantum mechanics being used in current research?

A geometrical description of quantum mechanics is being used in various areas of current research, including quantum information theory, quantum cosmology, and quantum gravity. It is also being applied to study quantum systems with a high degree of symmetry and to develop new methods for quantum control and manipulation.