Is there a specific unit used to measure redshift?

In summary, Redshift in cosmology is usually labeled as 'z' and is unit-less because it is based on a ratio between wavelengths. This means that it does not need a specific unit to quantify how redshifted an object is. While the idea of a unit for redshift may seem useful, it is not necessary for the study of distant galaxies and the upcoming launch of the James Webb Telescope and E-ELT project. The distance in an expanding universe is calculated based on a model of the universe's expansion over time, making it a complicated measurement.
ASmartDude
i have been learning about using redshift to measure the distance of far-flung objects, but in all my research i never saw a specific unit used to quantify how redshifted an object is. to me it seems like an oversight, because such a unit would be very useful for the study of distant galaxies, and which the impending launch of the james webb telescope and the E-ELT project underway (i think), it seems to me such a unit would be needed for these tools to be properly used. so has anybody bothered to quantify redshift, or am i the first person to think of this?

Space news on Phys.org
Redshift in cosmology is usually labeled as 'z'. It is unit-less because you divide the units out when you compare the observed wavelength to the known source wavelength. So if we observe a wavelength of 1,000 nm from a source that we know must have emitted 500 nm light, then ##z=\frac{1000 nm}{500 nm}=2##.

Redshift is based on a ratio between wavelengths. As such it is dimensionless and does not need a unit.

Drakkith said:
Redshift in cosmology is usually labeled as 'z'. It is unit-less because you divide the units out when you compare the observed wavelength to the known source wavelength. So if we observe a wavelength of 1,000 nm from a source that we know must have emitted 500 nm light, then ##z=\frac{1000 nm}{500 nm}=2##.

The definition is ##1 + z = \lambda_o/\lambda_e##. For your example, the redshift would be ##z = 1## and ##z = 0## corresponds to no redshift at all.

Drakkith said:
that makes sense. i thought i was onto a big discovery, but i guess not. thanks for the help!

ASmartDude said:
that makes sense. i thought i was onto a big discovery, but i guess not. thanks for the help!
The distance, by the way, is calculated based upon a model of how the universe has expanded over time. There are some online calculators that will do this, such as this one:
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/CosmoCalc.html

It's unfortunately complicated, because distances are pretty complicated in an expanding universe.

Orodruin said:
The definition is ##1 + z = \lambda_o/\lambda_e##. For your example, the redshift would be ##z = 1## and ##z = 0## corresponds to no redshift at all.

Ah, my mistake. Thanks, Oro.

Related to Is there a specific unit used to measure redshift?

1. What is redshift and why is it important in astronomy?

Redshift is a phenomenon in which light from an object appears to be shifted towards the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum. This is caused by the object's motion away from the observer, as the wavelength of light is stretched due to the Doppler effect. Redshift is important in astronomy because it allows us to measure the distance and speed of objects in the universe, and provides evidence for the expansion of the universe.

2. Is there a specific unit used to measure redshift?

Yes, redshift is typically measured in units of z, which represents the fractional change in the wavelength of light. This can also be represented as a velocity, with higher values of z indicating greater redshift and faster recession of the object.

3. How is redshift related to the Big Bang Theory?

Redshift is intimately tied to the Big Bang Theory, as it provides evidence for the expansion of the universe. The redshift of galaxies and other celestial objects is a result of the stretching of space itself, which was predicted by the Big Bang Theory.

4. Can redshift be used to measure the age of the universe?

Yes, redshift can be used, along with other cosmological data, to estimate the age of the universe. By measuring the redshift of distant galaxies and using the known expansion rate of the universe, scientists can calculate the age of the universe to be approximately 13.8 billion years.

5. Does the redshift of an object always indicate its motion away from us?

Not necessarily. While redshift is most commonly associated with the motion of objects away from the observer, it can also be caused by other factors such as gravitational redshift or the effects of interstellar dust. Therefore, redshift alone cannot always be used to determine the direction of an object's motion.