Is There a Non-Calculus Method to Prove this Thermodynamic Inequality?

In summary, the conversation discussed the proof of the inequality $$ \frac{y^x-1}{xy^{x-1}(y-1)}<1$$ where x and y are real numbers greater than 1. The conversation explored using calculus as well as finding a simpler way to prove the inequality by manipulating the expression. It was suggested to experiment with different values of x and y and to graph the LHS and RHS to better understand the conditions for the inequality to hold.
emroz92
Prove that
$$ \frac{y^x-1}{xy^{x-1}(y-1)}<1$$
where [itex]x,y \in ℝ, x>1 [/itex] and [itex]y>1.[/itex]

I was able to prove it using calculus, but am wondering if there was another way of doing so, like exploiting some inequality-theorems which involves real numbers. I'll be glad if anyone can show me a way and quench my hunch.

Cheers.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$$ \frac{y^x-1}{xy^{x-1}(y-1)}<1$$
where [itex]x,y \in ℝ, x>1 [/itex] and [itex]y>1.[/itex]

hmmm, not a fancy theorem but ... did you try - subtract 1 from both sides and put the LHS over a common denominator:

which means that either the numerator or the denominator is negative.

notice that the denominator is a product of only positive numbers?
see where this is going?

Thanks. But I am afraid I still can't see how the numerator is negative; that is:
$$y^x-1-xy^x+xy^{x-1}<0$$.
I was stuck with this expression before you pointed out. I think this part is the difficult one.

It is sometimes easier to see when something is negative ... you may have to experiment a bit to find a pattern... i.e. if x=1, what values of y will make the relation = 0, what values >0 and what values <0?

Alternatively:
$$\Rightarrow y^x-1 < xy^{x-1}(y-1)$$
... what conditions have to be satisfied for that to be true?
You should be able to see how it will be true just by graphing the LHS and the RHS.
Try figuring what y and x could be - like what happens is x>1 and 0<y<1 ?

geometrically, the LHS and RHS describe surfaces in 3D - LHS=RHS will be the intersection of these two surfaces.

I understand the importance of finding multiple ways to prove a hypothesis or inequality. In this case, we can use the inequality theorem of real numbers to prove the thermodynamic inequality given above.

First, let's rearrange the inequality to make it easier to work with:
$$ y^x < xy^{x-1}(y-1) + 1 $$

Now, we can use the inequality theorem which states that for any real numbers a and b, if a < b, then for any positive number c, ac < bc.

In this case, we can let a = y and b = x, and then apply the inequality theorem to get:
$$ y^x < xy^{x-1} $$

Next, we need to show that $xy^{x-1} < xy^{x-1}(y-1) + 1$. This can be done by using the inequality theorem again, but this time with a = 1 and b = y-1. This gives us:
$$ y^{x-1} < y^{x-1}(y-1) + 1 $$

Substituting this into our original inequality, we get:
$$ y^x < xy^{x-1} < xy^{x-1}(y-1) + 1 $$

Therefore, we have proven that the thermodynamic inequality holds for all x,y \in ℝ, x>1, and y>1.

In conclusion, we can use the inequality theorem of real numbers to prove the thermodynamic inequality given in the prompt. This approach may be more straightforward and does not require the use of calculus.

Related to Is There a Non-Calculus Method to Prove this Thermodynamic Inequality?

1. What is the thermodynamic inequality?

The thermodynamic inequality, also known as the second law of thermodynamics, states that in any natural process, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase or remain constant. This means that energy will always flow from hotter to colder objects, and it is impossible to achieve 100% efficiency in converting heat energy into work.

2. Why is the thermodynamic inequality important?

The thermodynamic inequality is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that governs all energy transformations. It helps us understand and predict the behavior of natural systems, and has many practical applications, such as in the design of engines and power plants.

3. How is the thermodynamic inequality related to entropy?

The thermodynamic inequality is closely related to entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will either increase or remain constant, which means that the natural tendency of any system is to become more disordered over time.

4. Can the thermodynamic inequality be violated?

No, the thermodynamic inequality cannot be violated. It is a fundamental law of nature that has been tested and proven through countless experiments and observations. While there may be some rare cases where entropy appears to decrease, it is always accompanied by an increase in entropy elsewhere, maintaining the overall increase or constant value of total entropy.

5. How does the thermodynamic inequality apply to everyday life?

The thermodynamic inequality applies to everyday life in many ways. For example, it explains why it is impossible to create a perfect perpetual motion machine, why ice cubes melt in a warm room, and why it takes energy to keep a room warm. It also has implications for issues such as climate change and the sustainability of our resources, as it sets limits on the efficiency of energy use and conversion.