Is There a Linux Version of Photoshop?

In summary, a user is having trouble editing pictures and drawing diagrams using Open Office on their new Linux Red Hat system. They ask if there is an equivalent to "Photoshop" for Linux and are given the suggestions of GIMP, which can do almost anything Photoshop can and has the added benefits of being free and running natively on Linux. Other options are also suggested, such as checking out linuxartist.org for more information and potentially switching to a more user-friendly Linux system like Ubuntu.
Hyperreality
I just got Linux Red hat, still trying to get use to it...

I am having trouble editing pictures and drawing diagrams using Open Office software. Is there an equivalent "Photoshop" for Linux platforms?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The GIMP can do almost anything photoshop can (including edit .psd format images).
It also has the advantages of
1: You don't have to pay a lot of money for it.
2: You don't have to spend hours trying to get wine to work good enough to run photoshop. (The most complicated program I've been able to run via wine is starcraft).
3: It runs natively in Linux, whereas photoshop will run slowly (if at all) in wine.

The GIMP's functionality can be extended via plugins: http://registry.gimp.org/

There are lots of other options as well: try http://linuxartist.org/ for more info. A lot of the packages listed there probably have binaries available for RedHat as well.

Gimp
here's it's forum
http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/board.php"
btw, if your new to linux I suggest that you switch to ubuntu, a lot more user friendly than redhat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is There a Linux Version of Photoshop?

1. What is a graphic program on Linux?

A graphic program on Linux is a software application designed for creating and editing visual media such as images, graphics, and animations on a Linux operating system. It provides a user-friendly interface and tools for manipulating and enhancing digital images and graphics.

2. Do I need special skills to use a graphic program on Linux?

While some knowledge of graphic design principles may be helpful, most graphic programs on Linux have user-friendly interfaces and built-in tutorials to help beginners get started. With practice and experimentation, anyone can learn to use a graphic program on Linux.

3. Can I use a graphic program on Linux for professional work?

Yes, many graphic programs on Linux offer advanced features and capabilities that are suitable for professional use. Some popular examples include GIMP, Inkscape, and Krita, which are widely used by graphic designers, animators, and photographers.

4. Are there any limitations to using a graphic program on Linux?

While most graphic programs on Linux offer a wide range of features, some may not have the same level of functionality as their Windows or Mac counterparts. Additionally, certain proprietary file formats may not be fully supported by open-source graphic programs on Linux.

5. Are there any costs associated with using a graphic program on Linux?

There are many free and open-source graphic programs available on Linux, making it a cost-effective option for those looking to create or edit visual media. However, some professional-grade programs may require a one-time purchase or subscription fee.