Is there a greater answer for naming D-Block elements the way they do?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of another element's electron configuration to abbreviate the writing of an electron configuration for a specific element. It is both a shortcut used by chemists and also reflects the stability of non-valence electron configurations in higher elements.
PhysicsInterest
Ok so I’m going into my second year of college and I’m starting to learn more advanced chemistry (pray for me🙏) I’m currently on the topic of D-Block elements and I was already aware of electron configurations and how to write them out… however what I have never come across prior was the use of another elements electron configuration to almost ‘shorten’ writing out one for example the electron configuration of manganese is [Ar]4s2 3d5 (embarrassing if I wrote it wrong but please correct me if I did) I had a general question, is there a deeper meaning behind using another electron configuration in a configuration or is it just chemists taking a shorter route and almost being lazy lol😆 any experienced chemist please respond, I’m a baby chemist trying to learn!! Thank you a million.😁

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
In a way - both. Yes, it is "just" a short notation, but it also reflects on the fact non-valence electron configurations are quite stable and identical in every "higher" element.

• Informative
Likes berkeman, topsquark and Bystander