Is there a convention for roman d vs italic d, e.g. as in df

• Thread starter pellman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convention
In summary, the use of roman d and italic d for differentials and derivatives may vary depending on individual preferences and conventions. However, in scientific articles, it is generally expected that these conventions will be properly applied.
pellman
At first I thought that roman d was reserved for the exterior derivative and italic d for scalar differentials.

That is, one would have df for the exterior derivative of function f but write dy/dx in regular calculus.

But the author of the wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_(infinitesimal ) has used roman d for dy/dx. Is this just a matter of author's taste? Or am I missing a subtle distinction?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pellman said:
At first I thought that roman d was reserved for the exterior derivative and italic d for scalar differentials.

That is, one would have df for the exterior derivative of function f but write dy/dx in regular calculus.

But the author of the wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_(infinitesimal ) has used roman d for dy/dx. Is this just a matter of author's taste? Or am I missing a subtle distinction?

As I've understood it:

Variables like x and y are supposed to be italic.
Operators (like sin, log, and yes, also "d") are supposed to be upright (roman).
Units (like m, s, kg) are supposed to be upright (roman).

These are the conventions that I've seen in the SI unit standard and in the LaTex reference.

However, you'll see that usually people will simply type what's easiest and brings the message across.
It's only in scientific articles that these conventions are (or should be) properly applied.

pellman said:

If I recall correctly, if you have differential forms [itex]\mbox{d}y[/itex] and [itex]\mbox{d}x[/itex], the derivative is really

[tex]\frac{\mbox{d}y}{\mbox{d}x}[/tex]
a quotient of the two forms. The definitions of differential forms were pretty much defined so that this notation would make sense as a division of the two differential forms, matching the Leibniz notation. So, I guess they're kind of equivalent.

Whether or not the Liebniz notation itself should have roman d's or not, I'm not aware of any convention that anyone really follows. Using italicised d's doesn't look nearly as sloppy as [itex]sin(x)[/itex] vs. [itex]\sin(x)[/itex] does, and I'm not aware of a latex command for the derivative that automatically gives you roman d's, so most authors will just use italicised d's to avoid having to write \mbox{d} all over the place or try to define their own latex command to give them roman d derivatives.

Related to Is there a convention for roman d vs italic d, e.g. as in df

1. What is the difference between roman d and italic d?

Roman d and italic d are two different styles of the letter "d". Roman d is the standard upright version of the letter, while italic d is a slanted version often used for emphasis or in certain font styles.

2. Is there a specific convention for using roman d versus italic d?

Yes, there is a general convention for using roman d versus italic d. Roman d is typically used as the default style for the letter, while italic d is used for emphasis or in certain font styles.

3. Can roman d and italic d be used interchangeably?

In most cases, no. While they are both versions of the letter "d", they have different styles and are typically used for different purposes. It is important to follow the convention and use them appropriately.

4. Are there any exceptions to using roman d versus italic d?

There may be some exceptions depending on the specific font or style being used. Some fonts may use italic d as the default style, while others may have a different convention for using the two styles. It is always best to check the guidelines or ask the designer for clarification.

5. Is there a specific reason for using roman d versus italic d?

The use of roman d versus italic d is primarily for visual and stylistic purposes. Italic d is often used to add emphasis or to match the overall font style. It is not a grammatical or linguistic rule, but rather a convention for design and aesthetics.