Is the span of the infinite set S the same as the span of a finite set?

In summary: So the b vector could be any real number.In summary, the homework statement is asking for a span of an infinite set of vectors. The Attempt at a Solution says that the solution is the same as the vector span for a finite set, but the linearly dependent vectors cannot form the span. The solution is to generalize the equation to include any real numbers as the multiplying constants.
baddin

Homework Statement

Give S = {(x,|x|,2|x|) | x [itex]\in[/itex] R} [itex]\bigcup[/itex] {(0,2,4),(-1,3,6)}, find span(S)

Homework Equations

I know that span of a finite set of vectors is given by <a(0,2,4) + b(-1,3,6)+c(x,|x|,2|x|)>, where a,b,c are any real numbers. Can i use that same way to find the span of this infinite set.

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the solution same as the vector span for a finite set like span(S) = <a(0,2,4) + b(-1,3,6)+c(x,|x|,2|x|)>, or is it something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
baddin said:

Homework Statement

Give S = {(x,|x|,2|x|) | x [itex]\in[/itex] R} [itex]\bigcup[/itex] {(0,2,4),(-1,3,6)}, find span(S)

Homework Equations

I know that span of a finite set of vectors is given by <a(0,2,4) + b(-1,3,6)+c(x,|x|,2|x|)>, where a,b,c are any real numbers. Can i use that same way to find the span of this infinite set.

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the solution same as the vector span for a finite set like span(S) = <a(0,2,4) + b(-1,3,6)+c(x,|x|,2|x|)>, or is it something else?

Lots of those x vectors are multiples of each other. I would start by looking at what S looks like for x > 0 and x < 0.

So for any values of x I pick. the x vectors will be linearly dependent and they cannot form my span? So would that mean the span(S) = span of linearly independent independent vectors in S. So span(S) = <a(0,2,4)+b(-1,3,6)>?

baddin said:
So for any values of x I pick. the x vectors will be linearly dependent and they cannot form my span?

I don't know what you are trying to say here. I will say it again: what do the x vectors look like if ##x > 0## versus ##x<0##? You might start by actually answering that question.

So for x<0 The x vectors look like(x,-x,-2x) and for x>0 the x vectors look like (x,x,2x).

And if you factor an x out of each what happens? And why do you say they are linearly dependent?

OH my fault, I see they are linearly independent. So could I generalize this and write span(S) = {a(1,1,2) + b(1,-1,2) + c(0,0,0) + d(0,2,4) + e(-1,3,6)} given a>0, b<0, c,d and e are any real numbers?

baddin said:
OH my fault, I see they are linearly independent. So could I generalize this and write span(S) = {a(1,1,2) + b(1,-1,2) + c(0,0,0) + d(0,2,4) + e(-1,3,6)} given a>0, b<0, c,d and e are any real numbers?

Is that b vector correct?

Usually when you are asked to describe a span you wouldn't include extra vectors that don't add anything. Since these are 3D vectors you would expect at most to need 3 vectors and maybe fewer to get an independent spanning set. And remember that a span automatically doesn't restrict the multiplying constants to positive or negative.

Related to Is the span of the infinite set S the same as the span of a finite set?

What is the definition of "Span of an infinite set S"?

The span of an infinite set S is the set of all possible linear combinations of the elements in S. In other words, it is the set of all vectors that can be formed by multiplying each element in S by a scalar and adding them together.

How is the span of an infinite set S different from the span of a finite set?

The span of an infinite set S is different from the span of a finite set because the number of possible linear combinations in an infinite set is infinite, while the number of possible linear combinations in a finite set is limited by the number of elements in the set.

What is the significance of the span of an infinite set S in linear algebra?

The span of an infinite set S is significant in linear algebra because it helps us understand the dimension and structure of vector spaces. It also allows us to determine whether a given vector can be expressed as a linear combination of the elements in S.

Can the span of an infinite set S be a finite set?

Yes, it is possible for the span of an infinite set S to be a finite set. This can occur if the elements in S are linearly dependent, meaning one or more elements in S can be written as a linear combination of the other elements. In this case, the span of S would be a finite set with fewer elements than S.

How can the span of an infinite set S be calculated?

The span of an infinite set S can be calculated by finding all possible linear combinations of the elements in S and then taking the set of all resulting vectors. This can be done by hand or using mathematical software such as MATLAB or Python.