Is the PC Dead? Trends, Insights, and Observations from a Tech Enthusiast"

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary, I don't think we are going to see a significant drop in the demand for laptops. PCs will continue to be important for gaming and other power user tasks. Mobile devices are becoming more powerful and there is a growing trend towards using them for everything.
Mark44 said:
[hiking aps]
The places I go cell phones are a non-starter, as these places are out of range of cell towers.
I agree with everything else, but this: of course that would be true if it were true. But any decent hiking app has downloadable maps and is used in "airplane mode" to save battery - otherwise they'd be pointless. This would be one of the rare devices that a cell phone is almost certainly better than a stand-alone device (which is why cell phones rapidly destroyed the stand-alone GPS market). In use they look and work almost exactly the same except that the cell phone will have a better processor, better software and better screen (though possibly a trade-off between battery and those features). Though:
My hiking/climbing buddy has a De Lorme sat device that he can use to send texts...
True. Basically everything else about such devices are inferior to cell phones, but for long-term out of cell range hiking, an actual sat "phone" is a critical feature...and they often pair with a phone anyway to help overcome their drawbacks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
They should enable the fm feature but are loath to because of a potential loss of revenue. Free music wirelessly.

I think fm works in remote areas too except for valleys.

Likes russ_watters
jedishrfu said:

Not for long. In the news last week, Norway was the first company to stop broadcasting FM completely.

jedishrfu said:
More motivation to get the climbing done then.
russ_watters said:
Ditto. And Bill Gate's vision is almost realized with a program called "SideSync", which docks a cell phone to a computer a "remote desktop" type function. I'm using it to type this post.
It will struggle with more computing-intense tasks unless the computing is done on a computer.

mfb said:
It will struggle with more computing-intense tasks unless the computing is done on a computer.
Yes: unlike Bill Gate's docking-station only idea, SideSync is hosted by a computer. So you wouldn't bother using the cell phone for "real" computer functions since you already have the computer. What SideSync is good for is apps designed for cell phones that don't work well or at all on a PC because developers haven't bothered to make them for PC/make them for PC well. Or if you are in the middle of a task on the cell phone and want to quickly upgrade to a monitor and keyboard.

A similar idea: I browse PF, the news and facebook on my phone while watching TV if I don't have my laptop. If I see a slideshow or video that I want to look at on a big screen, I don't have to get up to find my laptop: with just a couple of taps, my phone seizes control of my TV to display what I'm watching.

In the last couple of years before I retired, I worked at a desktop with 6 full-sized monitors, in two rows of three. It was programmer heaven! I can't imagine how people are satisfied doing anything more than tweets and checking weather on a smart phone.
digitalTigerMonitors.jpg

Attachments

• digitalTigerMonitors.jpg
    digitalTigerMonitors.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
I've been intrigued by this statement for a number of years. Certainly there is still a need for laptops, but there are undeniable trends and mobile tech is getting better every year. I see the next generation almost entirely on mobile devices. Perhaps PCs won't go away but rather become special use.
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3186782/computer-hardware/the-laptop-is-dead.html

What are your thoughts, personal trends and observations?
Regular plug-into-the-wall computers and laptops are still much easier to use than the mobile devices. I've tried a "smartphone" for a few months and found it mostly terrible - but I went the cheap route mostly to learn. Nothing I would want to do on such a device as any replacement for a laptop computer. There are some exceptions. The smartphone can work as a camera both still and video; and as a flashlight; and if you been able to maintain the service, a cell phone and text message machine; things which are not so easily done using a laptop computer.

Likes Klystron
I'd hate it to see them dissappear and have less community backing them if the phone and tablets are to continue on the data stalking business. As a person who takes precautionary measures, I don't do payments on my phone or tablet. Only a laptop (which is what the article puts more emphasis about possibly dying) or on a desktop.

Speaking of current phones and tablets, they give very little amount of control over what the operating system does and what apps do in them unless one installs a bunch of workarounds for better controlling those. At one point I bought a limited bandwidth data plan and I installed a firewall on the phone to block all Google services because I had a hunch that google would drain my data plan. As soon as I allowed some google services and apps to use the internet (auto sync was off btw), it consumed a whooping 80MB of data in about 45 minutes. The data icon was constantly blinking. I could not believe it. Plus, all the other applications phoning home and doing who knows what scaled that to about 140MB in less than an hour. Not knowing what is going on behind the scenes and having so little control over apps, I don't trust phones and tablets for payments.

Points that I can write for why non-average users would not want personal computers to die (although the article talks more about laptops, not desktops):
  • Photo or video editing (phone and tablet software for that suck in my opinion)
  • Software development
  • Enhanced controll over operating system features
  • Gaming (phone and tablet games suck in my opinion too.)
Greg Bernhardt said:
What does the average person need to do that they can't on a phone?
I'd say nothing. If they are average with average needs, they can pretty much do all their needs on a phone or tablet.

Likes Asymptotic
Mobile devices especially smartphones are toys. Designed to deliver consumables in the form of of data and and candy bars. The screen size makes them very limited in their ability to display information. Their connectivity limits there use as a reliable communication device. If you have to many walls around you calls do not get through. Worst tech of the last 50 years.

Likes krater, Mark44 and symbolipoint
zdcyclops said:
Their connectivity limits there use as a reliable communication device. If you have to many walls around you calls do not get through.
Around here, most of the time I need to climb a hill to use my cell...

Lol...
zdcyclops said:
Worst tech of the last 50 years.

My [itex]\$ 0.02[/itex], I've used pretty much everything over the past 15-20 years, iPhone (currently), other smart phones, tablet, laptop (Windows and Linux), desktop (Windows and Linux) and even the old Palm Pilot (I miss my Palm Pilot, I used it overseas everyday when I was deployed for the war).

Now, at a former employer, I had the choice of workstation or laptop workstation. I chose the laptop workstation because I was constantly on the road supporting testing and needed my machine to update drawings, grids and analysis. It worked great and because I had a huge monitor and docking station in my cube, everything went well. My next job, I had the choice of laptop or workstation, I chose workstation because I wasn't going to be traveling much and wanted something I could really hit for numerical processing. When I took a civil service position a few months ago, I had the choice, laptop or workstation, Windows or Apple, I chose windows workstation because I didn't feel like screwing with Apple and writing code on it as well as fighting some of the things that Office currently doesn't implement on both platforms. I am not traveling as much for the foreseeable future so I don't need a laptop. The but is that I can always check one out from the pool and turn it back in later.

The PC isn't going anywhere, when my boss retires and I take over the group, I'll pretty much push the group to use Windows (cheaper to implement and keep up to date, right now the Apple users have to do their own security updates and are getting pretty sick of it when I don't have to do anything but let IT push the updates every week).