Is the Likelihood Function a Multivariate Gaussian Near a Minimum?

In summary: However, for larger variations, the function may deviate from a Gaussian due to correlations between parameters.
kelly0303
Hello! I am reading Data Reduction and Error Analysis by Bevington, 3rd Edition and in Chapter 8.1, Variation of ##\chi^2## Near a Minimum he states that for enough data the likelihood function becomes a Gaussian function of each parameter, with the mean being the value that minimizes the chi-square: $$P(a_j)=Ae^{-(a_j-a_j')^2/2\sigma_j^2}$$ where ##A## is a function of the other parameters, but not ##a_j##. Is this the general formula or is it a simplification where the correlation between the parameters is zero? From some examples later I guess this is just a particular case and I assume the most general formula would be a multivariate gaussian, but he doesn't explicitly state this anywhere. Can someone tell me what's the actual formula? Also, can someone point me towards a proof of this? Thank you!

• Informative
Likes BvU
Physics news on Phys.org
It is true if you only consider changes in aj and fix all other parameters to their value at the minimum, but not otherwise.

mfb said:
It is true if you only consider changes in aj and fix all other parameters to their value at the minimum, but not otherwise.
Thank you! Does it become a multivariate Gaussian, tho, away from the minimum (if there are correlations)? Or does this formula apply only at the minimum value?

A multivariate Gaussian can describe the function in a small region around the minimum.

Related to Is the Likelihood Function a Multivariate Gaussian Near a Minimum?

What is a likelihood function?

A likelihood function is a statistical tool used to estimate the probability of a certain set of data given a specific statistical model. It helps to determine how well a model fits the observed data.

How is a likelihood function different from a probability function?

A likelihood function is different from a probability function in that it is used to estimate the probability of a set of data given a specific model, whereas a probability function is used to estimate the probability of a specific outcome occurring.

What is the purpose of a likelihood function?

The purpose of a likelihood function is to help determine the best fit for a statistical model by calculating the probability of the observed data given the model. This allows for the evaluation and comparison of different models to determine which one best explains the data.

How is a likelihood function used in maximum likelihood estimation?

In maximum likelihood estimation, the likelihood function is used to find the values of the model parameters that maximize the probability of the observed data. This allows for the estimation of the most likely values for the parameters in a given model.

What are some limitations of likelihood functions?

One limitation of likelihood functions is that they assume that the data is independent and identically distributed, which may not always be the case. Additionally, likelihood functions can be sensitive to outliers in the data and may not accurately represent the underlying distribution of the data.