Is the Integral of (x-2)^3 from 0 to 4 Undefined?

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of a function that has a singularity at a specific point. The discussion leads to two possible alternatives, one where the integral is considered to be divergent and one where it is considered to be convergent. The experts in the conversation provide examples and explanations for both alternatives.
Petrus
Hello MHB,

Integrate \(\displaystyle \int_0^4 \frac{dx}{(x-2)^3}\)
We are suposed to integrate when x goes from zero to 4 but when x is 2 the integration does not exist so the integrate does not exist as well?

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: integrate

Petrus said:
Hello MHB,

Integrate \(\displaystyle \int_0^4 \frac{dx}{(x-2)^3}\)
We are suposed to integrate when x goes from zero to 4 but when x is 2 the integration does not exist so the integrate does not exist as well?

Regards,

A very interesting question!... for semplicity sake we set $x-2=u$ and the integral becomes $\displaystyle I= \int_{-2}^{2} \frac{d u}{u^{3}}$. Now, because the function has a singularity in u=0, we write...

$\displaystyle I= \int_{-2}^{2} \frac{d u}{u^{3}} = \int_{-2}^{0} \frac{d u}{u^{3}} + \int_{0}^{2} \frac{d u}{u^{3}}$ (1)

Very well!... now we are in front of a crossroads...

a) each integral in (1) diverges, so that the whole integral diverges...

b) the (1) can be written as...

$\displaystyle I = \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0} (\int_{-2}^{-\varepsilon} \frac{d u}{u^{3}} + \int_{\varepsilon}^{2} \frac{d u}{u^{3}}) = 0$ (2)

How to choose between a) and b)?... another interesting question!...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Suppose $f$ is continuous on an interval $I$ , then we can conclude that $f $is integrable that means \(\displaystyle \int_I f(x)dx \) exists or finite . Now , suppose that $ f $ is not continuous on $I$ , unfortunately we can not conclude the integral does not exist.

chisigma said:
A very interesting question!... for semplicity sake we set $x-2=u$ and the integral becomes $\displaystyle I= \int_{-2}^{2} \frac{d u}{u^{3}}$. Now, because the function has a singularity in u=0, we write...

$\displaystyle I= \int_{-2}^{2} \frac{d u}{u^{3}} = \int_{-2}^{0} \frac{d u}{u^{3}} + \int_{0}^{2} \frac{d u}{u^{3}}$ (1)

$\displaystyle I = \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0} (\int_{-2}^{-\varepsilon} \frac{d u}{u^{3}} + \int_{\varepsilon}^{2} \frac{d u}{u^{3}}) = 0$ (2)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
This was my thinking
integrate means that we calculate area, and if we 'imagine' the graph we se at x=2 the negative way will go to -infinity and positive way will go to positive infinity and I also made that substitute as you made and end with answer 0. Then I don't know what to choose and why?

Regards,

chisigma said:

There is no crossroads. If $f:[a,b]\to\mathbb{R}$ is continuos except at $c\in (a,b)$ with infinite discontinuity then, by definition $\int_a^bf$ is convergent if and only if $\int_a^cf$ and $\int_c^bf$ are both convergent. If $\int_a^bf$ is convergent, we define $$\int_a^bf=\int_a^cf+\int_a^cf$$

chisigma said:

The problem with b) is that the same $\varepsilon$ is used for both limits. It would be better to write $\displaystyle I = \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0} \int_{-2}^{-\varepsilon} \frac{d u}{u^{3}} + \lim_{\delta \rightarrow 0} \int_{\delta}^{2} \frac{d u}{u^{3}}$. Both those integrals diverge, one to $-\infty$ and the other to $+\infty$, but it is not appropriate to think of the difference as cancelling out to $0$. So we are led back to conclusion a).

Re: Existance of Integral

The choice of alternative a) is quite 'obvious' but there are several cases of 'implicit choice' of the alernative b). In almost all the Fourier Transform tables is written that...

$\displaystyle \mathcal{F} \{\frac{1}{\pi\ t}\} =\begin{cases}-i &\text{if}\ \omega>0\\ 0 &\text{if}\ \omega=0\\ i &\text{if}\ \omega<0 \end{cases}$ (1)

The (1) is the basis of the so called 'Hilbert Transform', a powerful algorithm that I have used several times in pratical applications. If we write explicity the integral we find...

$\displaystyle \mathcal{F} \{\frac{1}{\pi\ t}\} = \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \frac{e^{- i\ \omega\ t}}{\pi\ t}\ dt = \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \frac{\cos \omega\ t}{\pi\ t}\ dt - i\ \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \frac{\sin \omega\ t}{\pi\ t}\ dt$ (2)

Now if we observe (2) it is evident that the real part of the F.T. is an integral that, on the basis of alternative a) is divergent but in fact, according to alternative b), converges to 0...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

What you write comes down to the question of the convergence of:

$$\int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \frac{\cos \omega\ t}{\pi\ t}\ dt$$

Last edited by a moderator:

zzephod said:
What you write comes down to the question of the convergence of:

$$\int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \frac{\cos \omega\ t}{\pi\ t}\ dt$$

Exactly!... The real part of $\mathcal{F}\ \{\frac{1}{\pi\ t}\}$ is...

$\displaystyle R = \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \frac{\cos \omega t}{\pi\ t}\ dt$ (1)

... and, for the validity of the Hilbert Transform algorithm, it is 'requested' to be 0. Of course that's true only if we compute (1) as...

$\displaystyle R = \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0} (\int_{- \infty}^{- \varepsilon} \frac{\cos \omega t}{\pi\ t}\ dt + \int_{+ \varepsilon}^{+ \infty} \frac{\cos \omega t}{\pi\ t}\ dt) = 0$ (2)

I used the H.T. algorithm in several TC designs and one of them is protected by patent, so that I would be very 'unhappy' if the theoretical basis of the H.T. would 'founder' (Wasntme)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Exactly!... The real part of $\mathcal{F}\ \{\frac{1}{\pi\ t}\}$ is...

$\displaystyle R = \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \frac{\cos \omega t}{\pi\ t}\ dt$ (1)

... and, for the validity of the Hilbert Transform algorithm, it is 'requested' to be 0. Of course that's true only if we compute (1) as...

$\displaystyle R = \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0} (\int_{- \infty}^{- \varepsilon} \frac{\cos \omega t}{\pi\ t}\ dt + \int_{+ \varepsilon}^{+ \infty} \frac{\cos \omega t}{\pi\ t}\ dt) = 0$ (2)

I used the H.T. algorithm in several TC designs and one of them is protected by patent, so that I would be very 'unhappy' if the theoretical basis of the H.T. would 'founder' (Wasntme)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I thought I had deleted that!

Singular FTs are defined rather differently and we only pretend (for the benefit of engineers and physicists) that the Fourier integral defines their transform.

zzephod said:
Singular FTs are defined rather differently and we only pretend (for the benefit of engineers and physicists) that the Fourier integral defines their transform...

A suggestion I give to the people speacking in terms of 'benefit for engineers and physicists' is to read the introduction of...

Hilbert transform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In mathematics and in signal processing, the Hilbert transform is a linear operator which takes a function u(t) and produces a function H{u(t)} with the same domain. The Hilbert transform is named after David Hilbert who first introduced the operator in order to solve a special case of the Riemann-Hilbert for holomorphic functions... David Hilbert... certainly not a second level mathematician!(Wasntme)... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

By definition that's the Cauchy principal value of the integral. If an integral converges, it shouldn't matter how you take the limit.

Related to Is the Integral of (x-2)^3 from 0 to 4 Undefined?

What is the "Existence of Integral"?

The "Existence of Integral" refers to the mathematical concept of a definite integral which is used to find the area under a curve on a graph. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is often used in various fields of science and engineering.

How is the existence of integral proven?

The existence of an integral is proven using a mathematical theorem called the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. This theorem states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, then the definite integral of that function exists.

What are the implications of the existence of integral?

The existence of the integral has several implications in mathematics and other fields. It allows us to calculate the area under a curve, which is useful in many real-world applications. It also helps us to solve various physics and engineering problems that involve finding the area or volume of a shape.

What happens if the function is not continuous?

If the function is not continuous, then the existence of the integral is not guaranteed. In such cases, other techniques such as Riemann sums or numerical integration methods can be used to approximate the value of the integral.

How does the existence of integral relate to the concept of derivatives?

The existence of the integral is closely related to the concept of derivatives. The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the derivative of a function is the inverse operation of finding the integral of that function. This means that the existence of the integral is necessary for the existence of derivatives and vice versa.