Is the inertial mass of light relative?

In summary, according to the equivalence principle, light's gravitational mass is equal to its inertial mass, which is determined by its momentum. This means that light can transfer its momentum to other objects, causing a change in frequency. The degree to which light's path is bent by a massive object depends on the observer's frame of reference. However, in general relativity, there is no single scalar value for gravitational mass, as it is determined by the stress-energy tensor. Therefore, different wavelengths or intensities of light do not respond differently to the same massive object, as they follow the same path in free fall.
GW Leibniz
By the equivalence principle, the gravitational mass of light is its inertial mass, which it has because it has momentum. Light can impart some of its the momentum to massive objects, upon which it will lose energy, which is manifested by its frequency (the basic principle behind doppler velocimetry, as I understand it).

a) Does this mean that higher energy light (e.g., gamma waves) are going to be more affected by a nearby massive object than lower energy light (e.g., radio waves)?

If yes, then...

b) As I understand it, light has no absolute frequency -- if an observer is moving toward the oncoming light, she will measure a higher frequency, and likewise if an observer is moving in the opposite direction, she will measure a lower frequency. So, then, does it follow that the degree to which the path of light is bent by a massive object depends on the frame of reference in which that deflection is observed? It seems unlikely to me but I don't know why.

If the answer to a is no, is the answer also no for wave-particles that do have a rest mass, like say an electron? (if gravity would be irrelevant because it would be overwhelmed by some other force for some reason, bracket that off for the purpose of this question)

Also, if the answer to a is no, and if the reason is that the only thing that matters is the speed, and the speed is constant, then why doesn't the light's energy factor into its gravitational mass?

I hope this isn't too incoherent...

Physics news on Phys.org
GW Leibniz said:
By the equivalence principle, the gravitational mass of light is its inertial mass
In GR there isn't a such thing as gravitational mass in general. The source of gravity in GR is the stress-energy tensor, which is a rank 2 symmetric tensor (i.e. it has 10 independent compnents). You cannot distill that down into a single scalar number in general.

The reason this is important and makes answering the rest of your question difficult is that light, in particular, has a stress-energy tensor of a form where there does not exist any reference frame where all of the terms but one vanish. So there is no such thing as the gravitational mass of a plane wave of light.

What you can say is that light gravitationally follows null geodesics in all frames and that the gravitational influence of light is determined by the Einstein field equations in all frames.

DaleSpam said:
In GR there isn't a such thing as gravitational mass in general. The source of gravity in GR is the stress-energy tensor, which is a rank 2 symmetric tensor (i.e. it has 10 independent compnents). You cannot distill that down into a single scalar number in general.

The reason this is important and makes answering the rest of your question difficult is that light, in particular, has a stress-energy tensor of a form where there does not exist any reference frame where all of the terms but one vanish. So there is no such thing as the gravitational mass of a plane wave of light.

What you can say is that light gravitationally follows null geodesics in all frames and that the gravitational influence of light is determined by the Einstein field equations in all frames.

Ok, fair enough. But empirically, do we observe that waves of light with different wavelengths or intensity respond differently to the same massive object?

GW Leibniz said:
Ok, fair enough. But empirically, do we observe that waves of light with different wavelengths or intensity respond differently to the same massive object?
No. Light is no different than other free falling objects here. Starting at the same position and velocity two objects follow the same path, even if their momentum is different.

I agree.

Related to Is the inertial mass of light relative?

1. What is the meaning of "inertial mass" of light?

The inertial mass of an object is a measure of its resistance to acceleration. In the case of light, it refers to the amount of energy required to accelerate a beam of light to a certain velocity.

2. Is the inertial mass of light the same as its rest mass?

No, the inertial mass of light is not the same as its rest mass. The rest mass of a particle is its mass when it is at rest, while the inertial mass takes into account the effects of its motion.

3. How is the inertial mass of light calculated?

The inertial mass of light is calculated using the formula E/c^2, where E is the energy of the light and c is the speed of light.

4. Is the inertial mass of light relative to the observer's frame of reference?

Yes, the inertial mass of light is relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that different observers may measure different values for the inertial mass of light depending on their relative motion.

5. Can the inertial mass of light change?

Yes, the inertial mass of light can change depending on its energy and velocity. As light travels through different mediums, its energy and velocity may change, resulting in a change in its inertial mass.