Is the Hollow I Symbol the Identity Matrix?

• Thread starter misterau
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbol
In summary, the Hollow I symbol is a mathematical symbol used to represent an empty set or a set with no elements. It is significant in mathematics and logic, and is often used to indicate the absence of data or a null value. The symbol is a capital letter "I" with no filling, and is used in set notation to represent an empty set. It is not the same as the Null symbol, which represents a null value or the absence of data.
misterau

Homework Statement

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6421/57065635.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I just what to know what the hollow I symbol is?
Is it just
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 1
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is the identity matrix.

Related to Is the Hollow I Symbol the Identity Matrix?

What is the Hollow I Symbol?

The Hollow I symbol, also known as the "hollow square" or "empty set" symbol, is a mathematical symbol used to represent an empty set or a set with no elements. It is often used in set theory and logic to indicate the absence of any elements in a set.

What does the Hollow I Symbol look like?

The Hollow I symbol is a capital letter "I" with no filling, giving it the appearance of a hollow square. It is sometimes written with a diagonal line through it to differentiate it from the letter "I" in handwriting.

What is the significance of the Hollow I Symbol?

The Hollow I symbol is significant in mathematics and logic because it represents the concept of an empty set, which is a fundamental concept in set theory. It is also used in other fields, such as computer science, to represent the absence of data or a null value.

How is the Hollow I Symbol used in mathematics?

The Hollow I symbol is used in mathematics to represent an empty set in set notation. For example, if we have a set A = {1, 2, 3} and a set B = {x | x > 5}, then the intersection of these two sets would be written as A ∩ B = ∅, using the Hollow I symbol to indicate that there are no elements that are both in set A and set B.

Is the Hollow I Symbol the same as the Null symbol?

No, the Hollow I symbol and the Null symbol are not the same. The Hollow I symbol represents an empty set, while the Null symbol represents a null value or the absence of data. They may be used interchangeably in some contexts, but they have different meanings in mathematics and logic.