Is the Double Factorial Series Convergent with Stirling's Asymptotic Formula?

In summary, Liebnitz' criteria requires L'Hospital and I don't know how to differentiate a dbl factorial. I tried with Wolfram and it returns a complex series that isn't going to help. I also don't know how to integrate a dbl factorial, so the integral test won't help.
ognik
Hi, question is - show that the following series is convergent: $ \sum_{s}^{} \frac{(2s-1)!}{(2s)!(2s+1)}$

Hint: Stirlings asymptotic formula - which I find is : $n! = \sqrt{2 \pi n} \left( \frac{n}{e} \right)^n $

I can see how this formula would simplify - but can't see how it relates to the double factorial !

Physics news on Phys.org
Um, not sure why no replies, always feel free to tell me bluntly if I must do something else or different...

I know of course that (2s-1)! = (2s-1)(2s-3)(2s-5) ...3.1 but cannot see how Stirling's formula helps or even relates...

Liebnitz' criteria requires L'Hospital and I don't know how to differentiate a dbl factorial. Tried with Wolfram and it returns a complex series that isn't going to help. I also don't know how to integrate a dbl factorial, so the integral test won't help.

I tried the ratio test (the dbl factorials simplified nicely) but got L=1, i.e. inconclusive.

I tried expanding a few terms, got -7/8, 11/16, -225/64, 133/256 ... and don't see a partial sum formula emerging from that.

Any suggestions?

Hint:

Convert the double factorial to a regular factorial.

ognik said:
Hi, question is - show that the following series is convergent: $ \sum_{s}^{} \frac{(2s-1)!}{(2s)!(2s+1)}$

Hint: Stirlings asymptotic formula - which I find is : $n! = \sqrt{2 \pi n} \left( \frac{n}{e} \right)^n $

I can see how this formula would simplify - but can't see how it relates to the double factorial !
As well as the Stirling approximation formula for $n!$, there is a less well known Stirling formula for the double factorial, namely \(\displaystyle n! \approx \Bigl(\frac2\pi\Bigr)^{\frac14(1-\cos(n\pi))}\sqrt\pi n^{(n+1)/2}e^{-n/2}\) (see Double factorial: Introduction to the factorials and binomials). That might perhaps be helpful here.

If the hint didn't help you might want to see Example 4.5 in https://zaidalyafeai.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/advanced-integration-techniques.pdf. There I do a conversion between double factorial and a regular factorial.

ognik said:
Hi folks, thanks for all help. Once I had that suggestion, I found some useful identities here - Double Factorial -- from Wolfram MathWorld - that sorted me out.

Please post your solution if you have time. This will help future thread readers.

Related to Is the Double Factorial Series Convergent with Stirling's Asymptotic Formula?

1. What is a double factorial series?

A double factorial series is a mathematical series in which the numbers are multiplied together in a specific pattern. It is denoted by an exclamation mark (!!) after a number, and represents the product of all the numbers between the given number and 1, skipping every other number. For example, 5!! = 5 * 3 * 1 = 15.

2. How is a double factorial series different from a regular factorial series?

A regular factorial series, denoted by a single exclamation mark (!), is the product of all the numbers between the given number and 1. For example, 5! = 5 * 4 * 3 * 2 * 1 = 120. In a double factorial series, every other number is skipped in the multiplication process, making it a smaller product than a regular factorial series.

3. What is the purpose of using a double factorial series?

Double factorial series are often used in combinatorics and probability to count arrangements or combinations of objects. They can also be used in formulas for calculating probabilities, generating functions, and solving certain types of equations.

4. Are there any special properties of double factorial series?

Yes, there are several special properties of double factorial series. For example, they can be used to express the number of ways to arrange a set of objects in a circle, or the number of ways to choose a subset of objects from a larger set. They can also be used to calculate the coefficients in a binomial expansion.

5. How can I calculate a double factorial series?

To calculate a double factorial series, you can use a formula or a recursive algorithm. The formula is n!! = n * (n-2) * (n-4) * ... * 1, where n is the given number. For larger numbers, it may be easier to use a recursive algorithm, which involves breaking down the calculation into smaller parts until you reach the base case of n = 1. There are also many online calculators and software programs that can calculate double factorial series for you.