Is the direction of resultant force to the left in this problem?

In summary, the author is taking the x component of the force to be positive in the negative x direction. This results in a positive value for the resultant force of the x component, indicating that it is acting to the left. The author's idea is correct in this case.
foo9008

Homework Statement

i am confused about the direction of resultant force . in the working ,it's clear that the author taking to the right as positive ,
for the force component along x-axis , we have -Fx , but , in the calclulation , we gt positive 32230N , so the resultant force of x-component is to the left(32230N ) , am i correct ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    10.9 KB · Views: 317
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    12.3 KB · Views: 354
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    6.7 KB · Views: 360
Physics news on Phys.org
The author is taking Fx to be positive if the force is pointing is the negative x direction.

Chestermiller said:
The author is taking Fx to be positive if the force is pointing is the negative x direction.
ia my idea correct / the resultant force act to the left ?

foo9008 said:
what do you mean ?
In vector terms, the x component of the force ##\vec{F}## is taken to be ##-F_x\vec{i}_x##, where ##\vec{i}_x## is the unit vector in the positive x direction.

Chestermiller said:
In vector terms, the x component of the force ##\vec{F}## is taken to be ##-F_x\vec{i}_x##, where ##\vec{i}_x## is the unit vector in the positive x direction.
is my idea correct ? the resultant force act to the left ?

foo9008 said:
is my idea correct ? the resultant force act to the left ?
Yes. It is positive to the left.

Likes foo9008

Related to Is the direction of resultant force to the left in this problem?

1. What is the direction of the resultant force?

The direction of the resultant force is the direction in which the net force is acting on an object. It is determined by adding all of the individual forces acting on the object using vector addition.

2. How is the direction of the resultant force calculated?

The direction of the resultant force is calculated using the law of vector addition, which states that the resultant vector is the sum of all the individual vectors. This can be done by drawing a vector diagram or by using trigonometric functions to calculate the direction.

3. Can the direction of the resultant force change?

Yes, the direction of the resultant force can change if the individual forces acting on an object change. For example, if the magnitude or direction of one of the individual forces changes, it will affect the direction of the resultant force.

4. How does the direction of the resultant force affect an object's motion?

The direction of the resultant force determines the direction of an object's motion. If the resultant force is in the same direction as the object's initial motion, it will accelerate the object in that direction. If the resultant force is in the opposite direction of the object's initial motion, it will decelerate or stop the object.

5. What is the difference between the direction of the resultant force and the direction of motion?

The direction of the resultant force is the direction in which the net force is acting on an object, while the direction of motion is the direction in which the object is moving. These two directions may be the same or different, depending on the individual forces acting on the object and their magnitudes and directions.