Is (S^n) X R Parallelizable for All n?

• Thread starter amd939
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manifold
In summary, The conversation is about proving that (S^n) X R is parallelizable for all n. The person has tried to show that S^nXR is diffeomorphic to R^n+1\{0}. They are stuck on showing that R^n+1\{0} is parallelizable. Another person suggests that R^(n+1)\{0} is a subset of R^(n+1) and a global frame for R^(n+1) can be written down that restricts to a global frame for R^(n+1)\{0}. The global frame for R^(n+1) is (1,0,...,0), (0,1,0,...,0), ...,
amd939
Hi, I am new to manifold and having a hard time on it. :frown: Could anyone please help me on the following problem. Please write down your thoughts. Thanks alot.

Prove that (S^n) X R is parallelizable for all n.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us what you've done so far and tell us precisely where you're stuck.

Hi,I tried to show S^nXR is parallelizable by showing S^nXR is diffeomorphic to R^n+1\{0} so if R^n+1\{0} is parallelizable then the problem solved. But I just don't know how to show R^n+1\{0} is parallelizable.

amd939 said:
Hi,I tried to show S^nXR is parallelizable by showing S^nXR is diffeomorphic to R^n+1\{0} so if R^n+1\{0} is parallelizable then the problem solved. But I just don't know how to show R^n+1\{0} is parallelizable.

R^(n+1)\{0} is a subset of R^(n+1). You can explicitly write down a global trivialization for R^(n+1) that restricts to a global frame for R^(n+1)\{0}.

A global frame for R^(n+1) is...

(1,0,...,0)
(0,1,0,...,0)
(0,...,0,1)

Related to Is (S^n) X R Parallelizable for All n?

What is a parallelizable manifold?

A parallelizable manifold is a type of smooth manifold that has a smooth vector field defined on it, which means that at every point on the manifold, there is a tangent vector that is linearly independent from the other tangent vectors at that point. This allows for parallel transport of vectors along any path on the manifold.

What are some examples of parallelizable manifolds?

Examples of parallelizable manifolds include Euclidean space, spheres, tori, and projective spaces. In fact, any Lie group is also a parallelizable manifold.

What is the significance of parallelizable manifolds in mathematics?

Parallelizable manifolds are important in differential geometry and topology because they allow for the construction of non-trivial vector bundles. They also play a key role in the study of characteristic classes and other topological invariants of manifolds.

How are parallelizable manifolds related to physics?

In physics, parallelizable manifolds are used to model physical systems that possess symmetries. For example, the spacetime in Einstein's theory of general relativity is a parallelizable manifold, allowing for the concept of parallel transport of vectors along geodesics.

Is every smooth manifold also a parallelizable manifold?

No, not every smooth manifold is a parallelizable manifold. In fact, it has been proven that there are only a finite number of parallelizable manifolds in each dimension. For example, there are only two parallelizable manifolds in dimension 2, the 2-sphere and the real projective plane.