Is regularity preserved in subsets of regular spaces?

In summary, the conversation discusses three proofs in elementary topology and asks for someone to check them. The conversation then goes on to discuss the necessity of injectivity in proving Hausdorff as a strong topological property. It also presents a proof for a theorem about regular subspaces. One person suggests starting with x_1 \neq x_2 in X when proving X is Hausdorff.
ice109
i've texed up three proofs in from elementary topology. can someone please check them?

actually i'll just retype them here for convenience

Let [itex] f: X_{\tau} \rightarrow Y_{\nu} [/itex] be continuous and injective. Also let [itex] Y_{\nu} [/itex] be Hausdorff.

Prove : [itex] X_{\tau}[/itex] is Hausdorff.

Proof : Pick [itex]y_1[/itex] and [itex] y_2 [/itex] in [itex] f(X) [/itex]. By injectivity of f there exist [itex]x_1 =[/itex]
[itex]f^{-1}(y_1)[/itex] and [itex] x_2 = f^{-1}(y_2) [/itex] such that they are both unique. [itex] f(X) [/itex] is Hausdorff so by Theorem 1 there exist disjoint open neighborhoods [itex] U [/itex] and [itex] V [/itex] of [itex]y_1[/itex] and [itex] y_2 [/itex] respectively. Then [itex] f^{-1}(U \bigcap V) = f^{-1}(U) \bigcap f^{-1}(V) = \emptyset [/itex] and by continuity [itex] f^{-1}(U) [/itex] and [itex] f^{-1}(V) [/itex] are open. Finally by definition of [itex] f^{-1} : x_1 \in f^{-1}(U) [/itex] and [itex] x_2 \in f^{-1}(V) [/itex] which, as stated previously, are two open disjoint sets in [itex] X_{\tau} [/itex]. Hence [itex] X_{\tau} [/itex] is Hausdorff.\\

Comments:

Injectivity is necessary. Take for example [itex] X = \{a,b\} [/itex] and [itex] Y = \{a\} [/itex] and to be [itex] f: X_{\mathcal{I}} \rightarrow Y_{\mathcal{I}} [/itex]. Explicitly [itex] f(\{a,b\}) =\{a}\}[/itex]. f is continuous, [itex] Y_{\mathcal{I}} [/itex] is obviously Hausdorff and [itex] X_{\mathcal{I}} [/itex] is obviously not.\\

This does not prove that Hausdorff is a strong topological property because we have proven a stronger converse. To prove that Hausdorff is a strong topological property we would have to have proven that [itex] f: X_{\tau} \rightarrow Y_{\nu} [/itex] continuous, not necessarily injective, and [itex] X_{\tau}[/itex] Hausdorff implies [itex] f(X) [/itex] Hausdorff.

Let [itex] X_{\tau}[/itex] be [itex] T_1 [/itex] and [itex] A \subseteq T [/itex] and [itex] x \in A' [/itex].\\

Prove : Any neighborhood of x intersects \textit{A} in infinitely many points.

Proof : Assume that there exists a neighborhood of x, in [itex] X_{\tau}[/itex] that intersects \textit{A} in only finitely many points to derive a contradiction. Let [itex] N_x [/itex] be such a neighborhood. [itex] N_x [/itex] is [itex] T_1 [/itex] by Theorem 1. Hence we can separate x from all points in [itex]N_x [/itex] by other neighborhoods. Since there are finitely many points in [itex] N_x [/itex] there are finitely many such neighborhoods. Let \textit{N} be the intersection of those neighborhoods. [itex] N -\{x\}[/itex] therefore is itself a non-trivial open neighborhood of \textit{x} which does not intersect \textit{A}. This contradicts that x is a limit point of \textit{A} and therefore any neighborhood of x intersects \textit{A} in infinitely many points.

\textbf{8.3.4}\\

Let [itex] A \subseteq X_{\tau}[/itex] and [itex]X_{\tau}[/itex] be regular.\\

Prove : A is regular.

Proof : Pick [itex] A_1 \subseteq A [/itex], [itex]A_1[/itex] closed in the subspace topology, and [itex] x \in A - A_1 [/itex]. Then [itex]A_1 = B[/itex] for some [itex]B \in \tau[/itex] and we can find two open sets [itex]N_B[/itex] and [itex]N_x[/itex] by the the regularity of [itex]X_{\tau}[/itex] which are disjoint. [itex]N_B \bigcap A[/itex] and [itex]N_x \bigcap A[/itex] are two disjoint sets in A which contain [itex]A_1[/itex] and x respectively. Therefore A is regular.

Theorem 1 : A subspace of a [itex]T_i[/itex] space for [itex]i \leq 2[/itex] is [itex]T_i[/itex].

Attachments

• ch8.pdf
    44.8 KB · Views: 205
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert at all... but in 8.2.5 shouldn't you say "pick [tex]y_{1} \neq y_{2}[/tex] in [tex]f(X)[/tex]?

futurebird said:
I'm not an expert at all... but in 8.2.5 shouldn't you say "pick [tex]y_{1} \neq y_{2}[/tex] in [tex]f(X)[/tex]?

yea you're right

ice109 said:
yea you're right

When you want to prove that X is hausdorff I think it is nicer to say: Pick [itex] x_1 \neq x_2[/itex] in X, and then do as you do. It is because when it is X you want to prove is hausdorf I think you should start there, because you have to prove it for any two x'es in X.

Related to Is regularity preserved in subsets of regular spaces?

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric figures that remain unchanged under continuous deformations, such as stretching, bending, or twisting. It is concerned with the shape and connectivity of objects, rather than their size or exact measurements.

2. What is a topology proof?

A topology proof is a type of mathematical proof that uses the principles and concepts of topology to demonstrate the validity of a mathematical statement. It involves using topological properties such as continuity, connectedness, and compactness to show that a statement is true or false.

3. How do you construct a topology proof?

In order to construct a topology proof, you first need to understand the topological properties and definitions relevant to the statement you are trying to prove. Then, you can use logical reasoning and mathematical techniques, such as induction or contradiction, to build a step-by-step argument that leads to the desired conclusion.

4. What are some common techniques used in topology proofs?

Some common techniques used in topology proofs include the use of continuity, compactness, connectedness, and separation axioms. Other techniques may include the use of topological invariants, such as the Euler characteristic or fundamental group, to establish the properties of a space.

5. Why are topology proofs important?

Topology proofs are important because they allow us to rigorously prove theorems and statements about geometric objects and spaces. They also provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental properties of topological spaces, which have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.