Is Negative Mass Prohibited in the Standard Model of Particle Physics?

In summary, negative mass particles are "forbidden" by the standard model and known laws of physics because they do not fit into our current understanding of the universe. This is due in part to the fact that all particles either have zero mass or positive mass, and that negative mass would result in contradictory behaviors such as leaving no energy upon annihilation and repelling positive mass. While general relativity may not explicitly forbid negative mass or energy, the standard model does not account for it. Further exploration and understanding of gravity, energy, and particles may provide more insight into the possibility of negative mass particles.
What observational evidence suggests the existence of repulsive gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chronos said:
What observational evidence suggests the existence of repulsive gravity?

Supernovae data, accelerated expansion of the universe.

hubblelogtrans.jpg

(and the idea of a repulsive force of gravity is also built into the model of cosmological inflation)

Last edited:
Exansion and inflationary theories do indeed incorporate a 'repulsive' force. But no reputable theorist has, to my knowledge, proposed a model based on matter that exerts negative gravitational force. The notion is very ATM. A theory that explains fringe observations is suspect when it defies mainstream interpretations of the bulk of existing observational evidence. The burden falls upon the ATM proponent to harmonize any revolutionary new theory with existing observational evidence.

Last edited:
I'm not proposing a model or concept of negative matter, this thread just explores why 'negative matter' can or can not exist.

The conclusion so far is that it most likely can not exist in the form of particles, but that space itself in some manner 'acts' like negative matter, that is, it comes with a repulsive gravity field.
This is not a conclusion based on my 'weird' idea of negative matter, but is a conclusion based on observations (space expansion, acc. expansion). But the observation has not yet a theory, which explains this phenomena.

Last edited:
Attention Dear Rade

Dear Rade

Greetings;
With regards, in answer to your comment and questions, regarding the negative mass of proton and positive mass of electron, I have a feeling that you have nor read the full article (on pages 7-9).
Please do so and kindly share your views with me again. To tell you the truth your attention to my article energized me. I sincerely look forward to your further comments.
We are not accepting the effect of gravity and anti-gravity in these hypotheses.

Very truly yours
R. Javahery
rjavaheri@ut.ac.ir

Rade said:
In this paper,what I find of great interest is this claim from abstract:
..."In the hydrogen atom, a part of the negative mass of proton interacts with the positive mass of the electron, the total mass energy lost in this interaction changes into electromagnetic energy, and then the two particles bond together..."

Now, I ask, what in the world can he mean "...a part of the negative mass of the proton...(where could this mass be ??). So I consider the not so well discussed "proton sea" (but known experimentally)--a spatial area of the proton outside the 3 valence quarks--and this leads me to consider what seems a logical possibility derived from the paper by Dr. Javahery that the "negative mass" of the proton being discussed may be within the "proton sea". :bugeye:

Next--note the statement from the paper that there is a predicted interaction between (1) negative mass of proton, and (2) positive mass of electron--again, how ?? If it is true that the negative mass is within the proton sea and outside the valance quarks, then, yes, a high probability of interaction is possible because also is found the electron outside valance quarks of proton with possible position within proton sea.

But, what can be a proposed mechanism of the dynamics of this interaction ? Here I offer one hypothesis. Let us assume that within the "proton sea" we have the proton negative mass in the form of anti-matter proton, which we know would be required to have a positron (e+) attached. So, when the paper says ...In the hydrogen atom, a part of the negative mass of proton interacts with the positive mass of the electron, the total mass energy lost in this interaction changes into electromagnetic energy, and then the two particles bond together..., I suggest it may be an interaction between a positron (e+) with negative mass plus an electron (e-) with positive mass, with the net result being the "bonding" mentioned (and from previous post we read possibility that negative mass is coupled with negative gravity, so a type of gravity--antigravity interaction may also exist?). Now, it is not a crazy idea that positron + electron can form union--it is called positronium. Nor a crazy idea that proton and antiproton can form union--it is called protonium. Classically both of these "alone" are very unstable with short half-life, but this paper suggests possibility the two may be combined to form a type of dialectic union of dual opposites (that is, a quantum superposition of positronium + protonium).

In summary, I suggest that one hypothesis (open to experimental falsification) to explain the conclusion of the above paper by Dr. Javahery is that what we observe as the "proton" {[P]e-} as a metaphysical entity may have a veiled reality due to an interaction between asymmetrical mass entities of matter with positive mass, and antimatter with negative mass--and here is another paper where such a model of the atomic nucleus of the proton and neutron is presented: http://www.ptep-online.com/index_files/2006/PP-04-03.PDF I hope that someone can apply the predictions of this paper to predictions in Dr. Javahery paper about existence of negative mass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Respond to the Questions

Rade said:
In this paper,what I find of great interest is this claim from abstract:
..."In the hydrogen atom, a part of the negative mass of proton interacts with the positive mass of the electron, the total mass energy lost in this interaction changes into electromagnetic energy, and then the two particles bond together..."

Now, I ask, what in the world can he mean "...a part of the negative mass of the proton...(where could this mass be ??).
The answers to these questions have been explained in the text http://www.wbabin.net/science/javaheri.pdf and not in the abstract.
So I consider the not so well discussed "proton sea" (but known experimentally)--a spatial area of the proton outside the 3 valence quarks--and this leads me to consider what seems a logical possibility derived from the paper by Dr. Javahery that the "negative mass" of the proton being discussed may be within the "proton sea". :bugeye:

Next--note the statement from the paper that there is a predicted interaction between (1) negative mass of proton, and (2) positive mass of electron--again, how ?? The answers to these questions have been explained in the text http://www.wbabin.net/science/javaheri.pdf and not in the abstract. If it is true that the negative mass is within the proton sea and outside the valance quarks, then, yes, a high probability of interaction is possible because also is found the electron outside valance quarks of proton with possible position within proton sea.

But, what can be a proposed mechanism of the dynamics of this interaction ? Here I offer one hypothesis. Let us assume that within the "proton sea" we have the proton negative mass in the form of anti-matter proton, which we know would be required to have a positron (e+) attached. So, when the paper says ...In the hydrogen atom, a part of the negative mass of proton interacts with the positive mass of the electron, the total mass energy lost in this interaction changes into electromagnetic energy, and then the two particles bond together..., I suggest it may be an interaction between a positron (e+) with negative mass plus an electron (e-) with positive mass, with the net result being the "bonding" mentioned (and from previous post we read possibility that negative mass is coupled with negative gravity, so a type of gravity--antigravity interaction may also exist?). Now, it is not a crazy idea that positron + electron can form union--it is called positronium. Nor a crazy idea that proton and antiproton can form union--it is called protonium. Classically both of these "alone" are very unstable with short half-life, but this paper suggests possibility the two may be combined to form a type of dialectic union of dual opposites (that is, a quantum superposition of positronium + protonium).

In summary, I suggest that one hypothesis (open to experimental falsification) to explain the conclusion of the above paper by Dr. Javahery is that what we observe as the "proton" {[P]e-} as a metaphysical entity may have a veiled reality due to an interaction between asymmetrical mass entities of matter with positive mass, and antimatter with negative mass--and here is another paper where such a model of the atomic nucleus of the proton and neutron is presented: http://www.ptep-online.com/index_files/2006/PP-04-03.PDF I hope that someone can apply the predictions of this paper to predictions in Dr. Javahery paper about existence of negative mass.
I do not accept the effect of gravity and antigravity in this hypothesis.

rjavaheri [and welcome to PF!], it appears you realize the concept is misguided - or that modern physics is a house of cards that should have fallen a century ago. Some of the difficulty arises in the words. For example: 'charge' is not a good way of describing the difference between matter and anti-matter. The terminology is intended to convey an idea, which unfortunately twists it into some some rather bizarre ideas - like the 'electric universe'. Spin is a better [albeit still less than satisfactory] description. I also agree this explanation looks leaky. To anyone who has 'done the math', mainstream models appear bullet proof - unless Maxwell and Lorentz totally screwed the pooch. And that seems highly improbable given the derivative theories of SR and GR have passed every experimental test to date with flying colors.

Last edited:
rjavaheri said:
I do not accept the effect of gravity and antigravity in this hypothesis.
Question--is the "negative mass" you discuss within the "proton sea" -- yes or no ? and please explain answer. Thank you--from this answer we can move forward.