Is My Formula Accurate for Calculating Vehicle Transmission Ratios?

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula for depicting the correlation between engine speed and tire speed, as well as the accuracy and ease of use of different methods for calculating tire diameter. The formula provided includes variables for tire size, gear ratio, and final gear, and the conversation also mentions a constant of 336 to convert from tire diameter to mph. The conversation concludes with a personal example using this formula to determine mph at different engine speeds.
mahoutekiyo
I think I have devised a formula to depict the correlation between engine speed and tire speed. Can anyone confirm or correct this?

[ 1 mile / ( diameter of rim + profile thickness of tire ) * pi ] * ( x / 60 ) * ( gear ratio ) * ( final gear )

I used this in a function to graph the 5 gears for a 240sx. The results seem reasonable but I have yet to actually test this data.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Mahoutekiyo.
I know nothing from math, but I see an unnecessary step in your equation. There is absolutely no need to incorporate the rim size. It is only the diameter/circumference of the tire that's relevant.

I knew this, however, I thought it would be easier to calculate it this way because people can get those number right off the tire rather than have to measure the tire, which would be less accurate because the tire is curved unless you had a T-square.

I thought it would be better using tire numbers because you can get specs like that for any car with physically having to be there to measure it. For example:

a tire that says 206/60 R15 would be:
(206mm)(.6) + 15in = diameter

Unfortunately, I just discovered this is inaccurate. ='\

mahoutekiyo said:
a tire that says 206/60 R15 would be:
(206mm)(.6) + 15in = diameter
Try ((206mm)(.6)x2) + 15 inch = diameter.

Try:

(rpm * diameter) / (drive ratio * 336) = MPH

There's a constant in there of approximately 336 to convert from tire diameter to mph, which is basically:

(12*5280) / (60 * pi).

In my case, my drive ratio is determined by 4.11:1 differentials, a 4:1 transfer case, and a 4.46:1 1st gear, so I have a 73:1 drive ratio and 31" tires.

In first gear in 4Lo at 2000 rpm, I'm cruising along at about 2.5 mph. In the scary parts, I drop my rpm down to about 1000 rpm or even a little lower.

Last edited:

Related to Is My Formula Accurate for Calculating Vehicle Transmission Ratios?

1. What is a vehicle transmission ratio?

A vehicle transmission ratio refers to the relationship between the rotational speed of the engine and the rotational speed of the wheels. It determines how much power is transmitted from the engine to the wheels and affects the vehicle's acceleration and top speed.

2. How is a vehicle transmission ratio calculated?

A vehicle transmission ratio is calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the input gear (connected to the engine) by the number of teeth on the output gear (connected to the wheels). This determines the gear ratio, which can then be used to calculate the transmission ratio.

3. What is the purpose of having different transmission ratios?

Different transmission ratios allow a vehicle to operate efficiently at different speeds. A lower transmission ratio (higher gear) is used for slower speeds and climbing hills, while a higher transmission ratio (lower gear) is used for higher speeds and faster acceleration.

4. How do transmission ratios affect fuel efficiency?

The transmission ratio can have a significant impact on fuel efficiency. Using a lower gear (higher transmission ratio) can result in higher engine speeds and more fuel consumption, while a higher gear (lower transmission ratio) allows the engine to operate at lower speeds and conserve fuel.

5. Can the transmission ratio be changed on a vehicle?

Yes, the transmission ratio can be changed by shifting gears in a manual transmission or using the gear selector in an automatic transmission. In some vehicles, the transmission ratio can also be manually adjusted through a feature called "paddle shifters" or by using a different driving mode.