Is Manipulating the Stefan-Boltzmann Law with Metamaterials Possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses two papers on arXiv that explore using metamaterials to manipulate the Stefan-Boltzmann law. The speaker is interested in the concept but unsure of its credibility due to their lack of mathematical knowledge. They also mention concerns about whether the system has been tested and published in a peer-reviewed journal. Additionally, they question the possibility of violating the second law of thermodynamics with this approach.
gildomar
So I saw some papers on arXiv that explore the notion of playing around with the Stefan-Boltzmann law using metamaterials:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1109.5444
http://arxiv.org/abs/1411.1360

I know enough physics that it looks rather interesting, but I don't know enough math to judge how credible it is, particularly since I was a little unclear if the system was actually built and tested or not. What are people's take on it?

p.s. I put this in the Quantum Physics folder due to the Stefan-Boltzmann law ultimately being a quantum mechanical phenomenon. If a different folder would be more appropriate, feel free to move it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This does not appear to have been published in a peer-reviewed journal. Also, if you can make a body radiate thermally more than a blackbody at the same temperature, then I can use that body and a blackbody to build a device that violates the second law of thermodynamics, so I'm highly doubtful that this is correct.

Related to Is Manipulating the Stefan-Boltzmann Law with Metamaterials Possible?

1. How is the Stefan-Boltzmann law related to blackbody radiation?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law is a physical law that describes the relationship between the temperature and the total amount of radiation emitted by a blackbody. It states that the total energy radiated per unit surface area of a blackbody is directly proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature.

2. Is the Stefan-Boltzmann law valid for all objects?

No, the Stefan-Boltzmann law is only valid for ideal blackbodies, which are theoretical objects that absorb and emit all radiation that falls on them. Real objects, such as stars and planets, have varying degrees of emissivity and do not perfectly follow the law.

3. Can the Stefan-Boltzmann law be used to calculate the temperature of a celestial object?

Yes, the Stefan-Boltzmann law can be used along with other observational data to calculate the temperature of celestial objects, such as stars and planets. This is known as the Stefan-Boltzmann law temperature measurement method.

4. What is the significance of the constant "sigma" in the Stefan-Boltzmann law equation?

The constant "sigma" (σ) in the Stefan-Boltzmann law equation represents the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, which is a fundamental physical constant that relates the energy emitted by a blackbody to its temperature. Its value is approximately 5.67 x 10^-8 Wm^-2K^-4.

5. Are there any limitations to the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

While the Stefan-Boltzmann law is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of ideal blackbodies, it has limitations when applied to real objects. These limitations include the assumption of a perfect blackbody and the neglect of factors such as atmospheric effects and the reflective properties of the object's surface.