Is it worth studying Electronics Engineering with Physics

In summary, the conversation discussed the benefits of studying electronic engineering for a medical physicist, and the importance of having a background in both physics and engineering. The individual in the conversation ultimately decided to drop the engineering degree in order to focus on physics and shorten their time at university, with the intention of completing the required postgraduate program for their desired profession.
Freshnesh
Hey everyone! I did the stupid mistake of doubling my Physics undergrad with Electronic Engineering. I just want to know, will studying EE contribute to much in practical as a Medical Physicist regardless of which area I go into? Is it better to have extensive knowledge of electronics or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Strange question. Unless you're doing theoretical calculations or simulations only, in most instances you will be working with electronics gear, regardless of the field you go into ... electronics is pervasive. [Strictly, simulations require electronic computers, but I'm not counting that.] Very few equipment these days is entirely mechanical, so electronics will be used in the control and operation of the equipment or for data acquisition. So a background in electronics engineering should hold you in good stead.

Even if you're majoring in physics, it's important to have some exposure to engineering. Physics (at least in the lower levels) focusses on ideal model systems to develop an understanding of fundamental principles. Real systems are often far more complex and are often approached via practical, pragmatic, phenomenological methods, as taught in engineering. A combo of physics and engineering gives you a more comprehensive approach to attacking problems.

I did my Ph.D. in experimental physics. This called for building measuring circuits of all kinds.
Now I am a pretty good electronic designer, especially in the areas of precision analog circuits.
Also, as a physicist, I know very well how all the electronic devices work and I can use that knowledge to make very clever designs.

Thank you all for the responses! Very much appreciated!

After sleeping over the thought I've decided to drop the engineering degree. I can do electronic subjects as electives later on in the degree so it does not worry me too much. I would like to concentrate on physics more than electronics as it has become, and will become, extremely overwhelming with the study-load. If I also do just physics I will be cutting down 3 years of spending time at uni which is really helpful given that I need to do the TEAP program where I live after getting my postgrad and that itself will take 3-5 years.

Once again thank you all for the responses and please feel free to through in your opinion into the discussion :)

Freshnesh said:
Thank you all for the responses! Very much appreciated!

After sleeping over the thought I've decided to drop the engineering degree. I can do electronic subjects as electives later on in the degree so it does not worry me too much. I would like to concentrate on physics more than electronics as it has become, and will become, extremely overwhelming with the study-load. If I also do just physics I will be cutting down 3 years of spending time at uni which is really helpful given that I need to do the TEAP program where I live after getting my postgrad and that itself will take 3-5 years.

Once again thank you all for the responses and please feel free to through in your opinion into the discussion :)
Oh, my interpretation of your first post was that you were already well into your double-major program and that you were questioning whether you had wasted your time.

OK, with the understanding that you have not yet started your program, then, yes, studying some electronics engineering will be useful (via elective courses), but there is no need to satisfy all the requirements for a formal double major.

CrysPhys said:
Oh, my interpretation of your first post was that you were already well into your double-major program and that you were questioning whether you had wasted your time

Well I'm well into my physics major but only just started the engineering. I'm one year and a half year away from graduating if I do just physics itself whereas it'll be an additional 3 and a half years with the engineering degree. By that time I can get the required postgrad (only 1.5 years full-time) and begin applying for TEAP positions if I drop engineering.

Hope this clarifies any confusion.

Related to Is it worth studying Electronics Engineering with Physics

1. What is the benefit of studying Electronics Engineering with Physics?

Studying Electronics Engineering with Physics provides a strong foundation in both fields, allowing for a deeper understanding of how electronic devices work and the underlying principles of physics that govern their operation. This combination of knowledge is highly sought after in industries such as telecommunications, renewable energy, and medical technology.

2. Will studying Electronics Engineering with Physics be challenging?

Yes, studying Electronics Engineering with Physics can be challenging as it requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to apply them to complex problems. However, with dedication and hard work, it can be a rewarding and fulfilling experience.

3. What career opportunities are available with a degree in Electronics Engineering and Physics?

Graduates with a degree in Electronics Engineering and Physics have a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in research and development, design and testing, manufacturing, and project management. They can also work in various industries, such as aerospace, defense, electronics, and telecommunications.

4. Is it necessary to have a background in both Physics and Electronics before studying this course?

No, it is not necessary to have a background in both fields before studying Electronics Engineering with Physics. However, a strong foundation in mathematics and physics will be beneficial in understanding the concepts and principles taught in the course.

5. How can studying Electronics Engineering with Physics contribute to solving real-world problems?

Studying Electronics Engineering with Physics equips students with critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be applied to real-world problems. They can use their knowledge to design and develop innovative solutions to global challenges, such as renewable energy sources, communication systems, and medical technology advancements.