Is it related to measure theory - Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the term "equilibrium" in the subject of "Preferences, Optimal Portfolio Choice, and Equilibrium." The term could refer to a balance between individual preferences and portfolio choice, or between economic forces in asset pricing. The definition from the tutor's presentation seems to relate to mathematical concepts of equilibrium, such as in measure theory or game theory. It is suggested to seek further clarification from an expert in this subject.
woundedtiger4
Hi all,
I am not sure that if I have posted this thread on right place but as the subject is related to the stochastic & measure theory therefore I am posting it here.

Well, my question is that in the subject "Preferences, Optimal Portfolio Choice, and Equilibrium" the tutor has used the word "equilibrium" ( http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calendar/courseGuides/MA/2011_MA418.htm ) & I don't understand that in what context the equilibrium has been used. Is it game theory's equilibrium defining some strategy for the formation of asset pricing or is it the economic equilibrium such as market equilibrium or is it dynamic stochastic general equilibrium?

I found the definition of equilibrium by the same tutor at http://www.imar.ro/~purice/Conferinta-AMaMeF-Pitesti/Talks/Danilova.pdf
which states that:
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5082/20033650.jpg
It seems more suitable definition from measure theory's point of view as to me it look like some sort of space equipped with measure, but I don't understand this definition, can someone please help me out?
With loads of regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I am not an expert in this field, but from my understanding, the term "equilibrium" in this context refers to a balance or stability between different factors. In the subject of "Preferences, Optimal Portfolio Choice, and Equilibrium," it could refer to the balance between an individual's preferences and their optimal portfolio choice, or the balance between different economic forces in determining asset pricing.

The definition you shared from the tutor's presentation seems to be related to mathematical concepts of equilibrium, such as in measure theory. It could also be referring to the concept of equilibrium in game theory, where players reach a stable outcome through strategic decision making.

I suggest reaching out to the tutor or consulting with someone who has expertise in this subject for a more in-depth explanation. Hope this helps!

It is difficult to say if you do not provide the equations and their meaning.
In a portfolio you could have an equilibrium between personal risk function and giving risks by the composition, a market equilibrium for the whole portfolio, i.e. fond, an equilibrium between risky papers and safe investments according to some evaluation function or similar.

I do not think it has to do with measure theory, but this can't be said in such a generality.

Related to Is it related to measure theory - Help

1. What is measure theory?

Measure theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of measures, which are mathematical functions that assign a numerical value to a set in a specific space. It is primarily used in the fields of probability and statistics, but also has applications in other areas such as physics and economics.

2. How is measure theory related to other branches of mathematics?

Measure theory is closely related to other branches of mathematics such as topology, functional analysis, and probability theory. It provides a rigorous framework for understanding and manipulating measures, which are essential for studying these other areas of mathematics.

3. What are the applications of measure theory?

Measure theory has numerous applications in various fields of mathematics, including probability and statistics, real analysis, and differential equations. It is also used in physics, economics, and engineering to model and analyze complex systems.

4. What are the basic concepts of measure theory?

The basic concepts of measure theory include measures, measurable sets, and integration. Measures are functions that assign a numerical value to sets, measurable sets are those for which a measure can be defined, and integration is a way of calculating the total value of a function over a measurable set.

5. How does measure theory relate to probability and statistics?

Measure theory is the foundation of probability and statistics. It provides a formal framework for analyzing and manipulating probabilities and statistical distributions. Many important concepts in these fields, such as random variables, stochastic processes, and conditional probabilities, are defined and studied using measure theory.