Is it possible to shift between parallel universes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of shifting between parallel universes in the form of one's consciousness. However, the Many-Worlds Interpretation (MWI) of quantum mechanics, specifically Everett's parallel universes, does not allow for selective movement between worlds. MWI is only an interpretation of wave functions and has not been proven to be true. Additionally, the idea of "universe hopping" is often used by scammers. Therefore, it is not possible to shift between Everett's parallel universes in the form of consciousness.
Dom1
I am new here and I have a question. Is it possible to shift between Everett's parallel universes in the form of your consciousness?

Space news on Phys.org
Dom1 said:
I am new here and I have a question. Is it possible to shift between Everett's parallel universes in the form of your consciousness?

The quick answer to this question is "no".

A slightly longer answer: The popular press talks about Everett's idea as if he was thinking about real physical parallel universes that we live in the way that we live in houses - don't like the one you're in, find a way of moving to a different one. That's not what it is at all, but it's easier to say what it's not then what it is - there are some threads in the Quantum Physics subforum that try to give a sensible explanation.

Dom1 said:
That's most often referred to on this forum as the Many-Worlds Interpretation (MWI). MWI is only a way of interpreting QM wave functions. If there was a way of differentiating it between other interpretations (wave function collapse or simply allowing the wave functions to never arbitrarily collapse), then it wouldn't be an interpretation. It would be a theory that can be tested based on the different predictions it makes.

That said, MWI will not create any additional opportunities - such as switching to a parallel universe.

Well. For one, we don't know that the many-worlds interpretation is true. (Though, I've got a fun idea to try at some point.)

For two, I'm pretty sure the guys promoting universe hopping are scammers.

For three, what do you think consciousness is, that it could jump from one universe to another? If another parallel universe existed, wouldn't you already be there?

I thought the gist of the many-worlds hypothesis (that's where the idea of parallel universes comes from, right?) was that you exist in some convolution, sum, average, or whatever, of all of them at once, so you can't selectively decide which one you want to be in because that would violate uncertainty.

jack476 said:
I thought the gist of the many-worlds hypothesis (that's where the idea of parallel universes comes from, right?) was that you exist in some convolution, sum, average, or whatever, of all of them at once, so you can't selectively decide which one you want to be in because that would violate uncertainty.
The OP specified Everett's parallel universes. It's MWI with clean separation among every world. It is an alternative interpretation to "collapse". ... So you're thinking of the wrong MWI.

Nugatory said:
The quick answer to this question is "no".

A slightly longer answer: The popular press talks about Everett's idea as if he was thinking about real physical parallel universes that we live in the way that we live in houses - don't like the one you're in, find a way of moving to a different one. That's not what it is at all, but it's easier to say what it's not then what it is - there are some threads in the Quantum Physics subforum that try to give a sensible explanation.
And with this answer, thread closed.

Related to Is it possible to shift between parallel universes?

1. Can we actually shift between parallel universes?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea of shifting between parallel universes. It remains a theoretical concept with no concrete proof.

2. How do we know parallel universes exist?

Parallel universes are a theoretical concept that stem from various interpretations of quantum mechanics and other scientific theories. While there is no concrete evidence, some scientists believe that the laws of physics and the vastness of the universe suggest the existence of parallel universes.

3. Is it possible to communicate with parallel universes?

There is no known way to communicate with parallel universes. Since they are believed to exist in a separate dimension or reality, it is currently beyond our technological capabilities to interact with them.

4. How would we even begin to shift between parallel universes?

As mentioned, there is currently no scientific evidence or technology that allows for shifting between parallel universes. The concept remains purely theoretical and beyond our current understanding of the universe.

5. Are there any risks or consequences to shifting between parallel universes?

Since there is no known way to shift between parallel universes, it is impossible to determine any potential risks or consequences. It is purely speculative at this point in time.