Is it possible to build a homemade torque sensor?

• Thread starter robs314
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation is about building a generator dynamometer and the different options for measuring torque. These options include using a torque arm with a load cell, a torque sensor, or making one with a strain gauge attached to the shaft. The cost and complexity of each option is discussed, with the most expensive option being an induced power supply system for accurate measurements.
robs314
Hello
I am building a generator dynamometer to test motors and using the motor output to give me the torque produced. I am happy with the linear relationship for torque, but i will need to calibrate this output.

I guess I could try using a torque arm with a load cell. This would be fine for measuring the braking torque, but will this calibration still hold true for dynamic operation too?
Another option is a torque sensor - does anyone know how expensive these things are? I have a feeling they are costly, so i was wondering how easy it would be to make one.

There's one method which uses a strain gauge attached to the shaft, and the flex in the shaft is correlated to a torque output, sent through a slipring around the shaft. What I want to know basically is, is it a project in itself to make one?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
robs314 said:
Hello
I am building a generator dynamometer to test motors and using the motor output to give me the torque produced. I am happy with the linear relationship for torque, but i will need to calibrate this output.

I guess I could try using a torque arm with a load cell. This would be fine for measuring the braking torque, but will this calibration still hold true for dynamic operation too?

If you work on elastic material behaviour, it is valid for dynamic operations too. If you are working on a commercial shaft and it works on designed work conditions, it should be no matters. But if you want to design a new shaft, so you have to estimate the working loads and then you can try to design the shaft.

Another option is a torque sensor - does anyone know how expensive these things are? I have a feeling they are costly, so i was wondering how easy it would be to make one.

There's one method which uses a strain gauge attached to the shaft, and the flex in the shaft is correlated to a torque output, sent through a slipring around the shaft. What I want to know basically is, is it a project in itself to make one?

Thanks

there are two ways for doing it and it depends by the money and the application you need.
You can use a transponder power supplies by a normal battery. The problem is the system autonomy. In my application this it lasts 24 working hours with 9V battery, and I don't know precisely how much it costs.
As alternative you can use induced power supply system and in this way you haven't autonomy problems but the system is very expensive and it depends by the working conditions. A supplier has asked me 6000€.

Related to Is it possible to build a homemade torque sensor?

1. What is a torque sensor?

A torque sensor is a device that measures the amount of torque, or rotational force, being applied to an object. It typically consists of a strain gauge or load cell that detects changes in electrical resistance as the object is twisted or turned.

2. How does a torque sensor work?

Torque sensors work by converting mechanical energy (torque) into electrical signals. As the object being measured rotates, the strain gauge or load cell in the sensor deforms, causing changes in electrical resistance. This change in resistance is then measured and converted into a torque reading.

3. Why is calibration important for torque sensors?

Calibration is important for torque sensors because it ensures that the readings they provide are accurate and reliable. Over time, factors such as wear and tear, temperature changes, and external forces can affect the sensor's performance. Calibration helps to correct any discrepancies and maintain the sensor's accuracy.

4. How is a torque sensor calibrated?

A torque sensor is typically calibrated by applying known amounts of torque to the sensor and comparing the resulting readings to a reference standard. This process is repeated at various torque levels to ensure accuracy across the entire range of measurement. The calibration process may also involve adjusting the sensor's output signal to match the reference standard.

5. What are some common applications of torque sensors?

Torque sensors have a wide range of applications, including automotive and aerospace industries, robotics, and industrial machinery. They are commonly used to measure the torque of engines, motors, and other rotating components, as well as to monitor and control the tightening of bolts and fasteners. They can also be used in research and development to study the effects of torque on different materials and structures.