Is Internal Energy of Ideal Gas Really Only Dependent on Temperature?

In summary: So, we can derive the internal energy relation from constant pressure and adapt for any process? Just texts favor start from constant volume?
s943035
We known [tex]U=3/2nRT[/tex] (monatomic ideal gas), just depends on temperature.

Most texts assert connecting U and Q with constant volume condition
and say"[tex]\Delta U = nCv\Delta T[/tex] for any process because of internal energy only depends on temp".

I think that statement is very strange.
Deriving the first law to [tex]\Delta U = nCp\Delta T + nR \Delta T = n\Delta T (Cp + R)[/tex]. Well, this equation also just depends on temperature.

Why not both heat and work in other condition to determine internal energy? Maybe kinetic relation is derived from constant volume?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi s943035, welcome to PF!

Where are you getting the equation [itex]\Delta U = nCp\Delta T + nR \Delta T = n\Delta T (Cp + R)[/itex]? It does not seem correct. Maybe you mean [itex]\Delta U = nCp\Delta T - nR \Delta T = n\Delta T (Cp - R)[/itex] for an ideal gas? This works out, since [itex]Cv = Cp-R[/itex].

Thanks for your greeting and correction!

So, we also can derive the internal energy relation from constant pressure and adapt for any process? Just texts favor start from constant volume?

Another thinking, why both energy relation ([tex]\Delta U = n\Delta T(Cv) = n\Delta T (Cp-R)[/tex]) can adapt for any process?

If I assume we only remember [tex]PV^\gamma = C[/tex](C is constant, for adiabatic expansion) and forget about any internal energy description,
just from first law and ideal gas behavior in adiabatic expansion,
I got [tex]\Delta U = 0 - \int \frac{C}{V^\gamma}dv = -C\frac{V^{-\gamma +1}}{-\gamma +1} = C\frac{V^{-\frac{R}{Cv}}}{\frac{R}{Cv}}= C\frac{Cv V^{-\frac{R}{Cv}}}{R}[/tex]
It seems like no any temperature relation, why?

Last edited:
V is a function of temperature, so there is a temperature dependence. If you keep manipulating the equations, it should work out to give the same answer as before.

I don't know relation between V and T ...

s943035 said:
I don't know relation between V and T ...

[itex]V=nRT/P[/itex] for an ideal gas.

Mapes said:
[itex]V=nRT/P[/itex] for an ideal gas.

but P is various in this case (adiabatic expansion),
using this relation substitute into, doesn't make wrong?

I can see the equation getting pretty complicated, but in the end it's got to be equivalent to the simpler expression [itex]\Delta U=nc_V\Delta T[/itex].

Related to Is Internal Energy of Ideal Gas Really Only Dependent on Temperature?

1. What is internal energy of an ideal gas?

Internal energy of an ideal gas is the total energy contained within the gas, including its kinetic energy (energy of motion) and potential energy (energy due to position). It is a measure of the gas's microscopic energy, and is directly related to its temperature.

2. How is internal energy related to temperature?

According to the ideal gas law, internal energy is directly proportional to temperature. As temperature increases, the particles in the gas have more kinetic energy, leading to an increase in the gas's internal energy.

3. What factors affect the internal energy of an ideal gas?

The internal energy of an ideal gas is affected by temperature, pressure, and the number of particles present in the gas. Changes in these factors can result in changes in the gas's internal energy.

4. Can internal energy be measured?

Internal energy cannot be measured directly, but it can be calculated using the ideal gas law and other equations that relate to the gas's properties. Additionally, changes in internal energy can be measured through changes in temperature or pressure.

5. What is the difference between internal energy and enthalpy of an ideal gas?

Internal energy is a measure of the total energy contained within a gas, while enthalpy is a measure of the energy transferred to or from the gas during a process. Enthalpy takes into account the work done on or by the gas, in addition to its internal energy.