Is Gravity Truly Omnipresent and Can It Exist Without Mass?

• Thread starter Jake Minneman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the question being discussed is whether gravity, as one of the four fundamental forces, is omnipresent like the other three forces are. It is pointed out that while the other three forces (strong, weak, and electromagnetic) can exist without the presence of other things, gravity relies on the existence of mass. The question then arises if gravity could exist without massive objects warping space, and if an individual entering space could also have an effect on the fabric of space. The conversation then takes a turn to discuss the concept of electromagnetic waves and their existence without charges, and how this relates to the existence of gravitational waves without mass. The conversation ends with a query about the existence of the other forces without the presence of other objects,
Jake Minneman
If Gravity is considered one of the four fundamental forces why is it not itself omnipresent? The other three forces are variables that do not rely on the existence of another thing, but in the case of gravity mass is essential to its creation. Could the force gravity exist without massive objects warping the fabric of space? When I enter space do I warp the fabric of space? If so could objects on the molecular scale revolve around me?

I did not know what section this belonged in so...

Space news on Phys.org
As a refutation classical electric fields require the presence of charge which is "another thing".

WannabeNewton said:
As a refutation classical electric fields require the presence of charge which is "another thing".
To be fair, electromagnetic waves can exist without any charges at all. But then again, so can gravitational waves exist without any mass.

Jake Minneman said:
If Gravity is considered one of the four fundamental forces why is it not itself omnipresent? The other three forces are variables that do not rely on the existence of another thing, but in the case of gravity mass is essential to its creation. Could the force gravity exist without massive objects warping the fabric of space? When I enter space do I warp the fabric of space? If so could objects on the molecular scale revolve around me?

I did not know what section this belonged in so...

I'm not answering this question but really expanding it from my own ignorance ... what I don't understand, but what you are stating as fact, is that the other forces exist without the presence of another thing. I always thought that the strong and weak forces were forces that interact among subatomic particles. If that IS the case then what does it mean to say that these forces exists without at least two things for them to interact between? If the strong force is mediated by gluons, how is that different from gravity being mediated by gravitons? I am NOT trying here to refute what you are saying, I just don't understand it so am using it as a springboard for the related question of "do the other forces in fact exist in the absence of other things in any way differently than gravity does?".

I can provide a response to this question regarding the omnipresence of gravity. Gravity is indeed considered one of the four fundamental forces in the universe, along with electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. However, unlike the other three forces, gravity is not considered to be omnipresent.

This is because, as the question states, gravity relies on the existence of mass to create its effects. The other three forces do not require the presence of mass to function. For example, electromagnetism can act between two charged particles without the need for any other material or mass. On the other hand, gravity is a force that is directly related to mass and its distribution.

To address the second part of the question, it is theoretically possible for gravity to exist without massive objects warping the fabric of space. This is known as the concept of "gravitons," which are hypothetical particles that are thought to carry the force of gravity. However, this is still a topic of ongoing research and has not been definitively proven.

Regarding the question of whether you would warp the fabric of space when entering space, the answer is yes. Any object with mass, no matter how small, will have some gravitational effect on its surroundings. However, this effect would be incredibly small and would not be noticeable on the molecular scale.

In conclusion, while gravity is a fundamental force in the universe, it is not considered to be omnipresent due to its reliance on mass. Further research and understanding of gravity and its effects on the fabric of space are ongoing in the scientific community.

Related to Is Gravity Truly Omnipresent and Can It Exist Without Mass?

What is the Omnipresence of Gravity?

The Omnipresence of Gravity refers to the concept that gravity exists everywhere in the universe, affecting all objects and bodies regardless of their size or distance from each other.

How does gravity affect the movement of objects?

Gravity is a force that attracts objects towards each other. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. This force affects the movement of objects by causing them to fall towards the center of the larger object, such as the Earth.

Why does gravity only pull objects towards each other and not push them apart?

This is due to the nature of gravity as a force of attraction. Objects with mass are attracted to each other, but there is no force that pushes them apart. This is why planets and other celestial bodies stay in orbit around larger objects rather than flying out into space.

Is gravity the same everywhere in the universe?

Yes, the laws of gravity are the same everywhere in the universe. This means that the strength of gravity and its effects on objects will be the same regardless of where you are in the universe.

Can the Omnipresence of Gravity be proven or disproven?

The Omnipresence of Gravity is a well-established scientific concept based on numerous observations and experiments. While it cannot be proven with 100% certainty, all evidence points to the fact that gravity does indeed exist everywhere in the universe.