Is C the Correct Choice for Electroscope Question?

The leaves will still have a slight repulsion but not as much as if it were C.In summary, the correct answer for the question posted in the paint doc is most likely A, as the leaves will still experience a slight repulsion due to the pre-existing positive charge, but not as much as with answer C.
Miike012
Question is posted in paint doc... I think it is C, because polarization will occur sending neg charge down to the leaves making them repel. is this correct?

Attachments

• dfgdfgdgdg.jpg
    dfgdfgdgdg.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
Question is posted in paint doc... I think it is C, because polarization will occur sending neg charge down to the leaves making them repel. is this correct?
attachment.php?attachmentid=43509&d=1328422617.jpg

The answer C is not correct unless the charge on the negative rod is significantly greater in magnitude than the charge on the positive rod.

The explanation regarding polarization is somewhat correct, but remember, the leaves have a pre-existing positive charge.

I believe it would have to be A then. I think the leaves will still have a slight repulsion but not as much...

Miike012 said:
I believe it would have to be A then. I think the leaves will still have a slight repulsion but not as much...
I agree.

I cannot definitively say whether C is the correct choice for the electroscope question without more information. However, based on the information provided, it does seem plausible that C could be the correct answer. Polarization can indeed occur in an electroscope, causing the leaves to repel each other. However, there may be other factors at play that could affect the accuracy of this answer. It would be helpful to have more context and information about the experiment or scenario in question in order to provide a more thorough and accurate response.

Related to Is C the Correct Choice for Electroscope Question?

1. What is an electroscope?

An electroscope is a scientific instrument used to detect the presence and magnitude of electric charge. It typically consists of a metal rod or needle suspended by a pivot, with two thin metal leaves attached to the bottom. When the electroscope is charged, the leaves repel each other, providing a visual indication of the presence of electric charge.

2. How does an electroscope work?

An electroscope works based on the principle of electrostatic repulsion. When an object with a charge is brought near the electroscope, it induces a charge in the leaves, causing them to repel each other. This repulsion can be observed and used to determine the presence and magnitude of the charge.

3. What are the different types of electroscopes?

There are two main types of electroscopes: the gold-leaf electroscope and the pith ball electroscope. The gold-leaf electroscope uses thin gold leaves, while the pith ball electroscope uses small pieces of lightweight material, such as pith or cork. There are also more modern versions of electroscopes, such as the Braun electroscope, which use a vibrating metal rod instead of leaves.

4. What are some practical uses of an electroscope?

Electroscopes have many practical uses in science and engineering. They are often used to detect and measure static electricity, as well as to test the effectiveness of different materials as insulators or conductors. They can also be used in experiments to demonstrate the principles of electrostatics or to measure the charge of small objects, such as atoms or molecules.

5. How accurate are electroscopes?

The accuracy of an electroscope depends on several factors, such as the design and quality of the instrument, as well as the skill of the user. In general, electroscopes are not as accurate as more sophisticated instruments, such as electrometers, which are specifically designed for measuring electric charge. However, with proper calibration and use, electroscopes can provide reasonably accurate results for many applications.